Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Oh I turned it in all directions, laid it at all angles and across everywhere it'd fit... just didn't take pictures of all the angles. :D Was hard to hole the camera, the square, and the feeler gauge at the same time lol :D

Since I couldn't find the insert I needed anywhere, I just took the bottom of the engine into Smuck's Engine in Jarvis, Ontario today - charged me an hour to do the thread on the bottom and hone my cylinders. He attempted to fix the stripped exhaust bolt hole as well but didn't feel confident that there would be enough material for the helicoil to grab onto so he didn't put one in there, and suggested that I get it welded up and re-tapped. I told him I may just be getting a head off another engine anyway so he said yeah that's probably a good option!

Wooo! One step closer! Now I just need to get my parts on order...

OH, he measured my cylinders as well and got 58.6 mm (2.307 in)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Here's what the book says:

Bore Size: 58.505 ~ 58.545 mm (2.3033 ~ 2.3049 in)
Taper Limit: 0.05 mm (0.002 in)
Out-of-round Limit - 0.01 mm (0.004 in)
So what size rings should I go with?

Fixed header bolt hole, turned out great!  Local engine shop did the work for me.  Nice guy, only $75 for the hone job and bolt hole fix.

11740702814_f0a25ec063_c.jpg

Untitled by feliks.ca, on Flickr

11740696644_c203d2555a_c.jpg

Got the cylinders honed and ready for new rings, which I need to order next week:

11740564223_41cc7e5b51_c.jpg

11740706004_d311be1cb7_c.jpg

Thoes are stock bore pistons measure them and get you barrel rechecked if the measurment you gave are right then the cylinder is .055 over and the piston would be slaping around in there.

take a top ring and push it down into the cylinder with the piston 1/3rd of the way and use your feeler gauges and measure the end gap of the ring

Soooooooo I just got my bonus cheque from work in. I am PLEASANTLY surprised. Now....should I put some race cams and pistons in?? lol Or maybe some new gear... I do need a full suit.... decisions!

:idea: At the strip club in hamilton? :biglaugha:

Now that you mentioned cams just turns out that Drew has uncoverd some secrets about the xj and fz and the cams are different to the tune of + hp 1990-1 cams seem to be the ticket. Mor to be checked out though valves may be diff.

Ewwww Hamilton strip clubs?? No thanks... lol maybe Burlington or Niagara Falls though! :D

Will stay tuned... that part of the motor won't be back together for another couple weeks, going to order the gaskets and rings I need tomorrow.

LMAO top shelf drinks and strippers in hamilton is like??? well you know youve been there. SHOE GUM anyone.

Yeah been talkin to Flip and he's been helpin me out via text - I need to get a proper measurement of the bore and cylinders and then order my rings according to that.

Thanks for the help though! :D

So here's how clean I got the head...should I keep working at it, or would you consider this clean enough? I want to get in the exhaust more but I can't get my wire brush down there without hitting where the valve seat seals.

11780736834_a8cb4ff19c_c.jpg
11781076396_de0e5d548d_c.jpg
11780728964_01a69aa489_c.jpg

E gads the exhaust valve seat's need cleaning up... and wont hurt to do the intake better get some paste and a suction tool to grind them back, this also mean the valves will most likely need to be re shimed.

Post a picture of the valves margin