Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So I've been doing some searching on cleaning the carbon off, some say use gasket remover, others oven cleaner, some say alcohol...other people just use water. Most of them ended up using a brass wire brush (like DT already told me to do!) so I think I'm going to go that route. Gasket remover to loosen up the deposits, then hit em with the brass brush on my dremel.

Got all of the pistons off and the bottom half of the engine prepped and ready for the machine shop now. I'm a little worried about the hole they need to put an insert in though, because you can see through it, to the crankcase cavity.... this means when they drill, metal shavings are probably going to fall in there, and that's not good!!

I'll snap some pics tomorrow of the progress, going to remove the old piston rings, clean up the pistons, remove any and all traces of old gaskets, and if I have time which I probably won't tomorrow....clean the valves and head!

Phew!!! Lots of work! But this is going to be soooo worth it.

See if you can snap some pics of the stripped hole. I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Helicoils work well on blind holes. They can be iffy on a thru hole. Not always. The m/c shop will tell you the best way to make the repair. They may say they want to weld the hole up and re-tap as the best solution.

There's also keenserts too...which have little tangs you can smash into the surrounding metal, could work. Hopefully they can do something with it! Doubt shops will be open or willing to work tomorrow lol so this stuff will be waiting till the new year. Going to get my parts ordered from Yamaha tomorrow though.... fack, no way I'm telling the wife how much this shit is costing.... hahaha

Here's my ongoing parts list and cost:

$18.84 - Crankcase Cover Gasket (on the lower left side of the engine)
$57.55 - Valve Cover Gasket
$61.36 - Head Gasket
$11.51 - Base Crankcase Gasket
$6.79 x 4 - o-Rings
$52.41 - Piston Rings - need to measure cylinder bore
$6.91 x 8 - Valve Seals
Not to mention what the machine shop is going to charge me...

Hmmmm.... just came across a BUNCH of parts for a 1986 FZ600 on Kijiji - the guy is selling two engines for $100 a piece... I'm wondering if I should keep mine, or pick one of the full engines up, grab the head off it (where my stripped exhaust bolt hole is) - then take the chance of the valve seals maybe being good or not.... OR, should I just stick with mine and clean it up? Decisions decisions....

Haha yeah I know how it works...I'm new to motorcycling, not to marriage. :D hahaha

I emailed the guy and if I'm willing to drive up there to pick the engine up, he said he'll throw in whatever other parts I want/need from him parting the bike out! So...uhhh...yeah, can't go wrong there! It's about a 2 hour drive though, so I need to plan the trip... Good old Scarborough.

Hmmmm.... just came across a BUNCH of parts for a 1986 FZ600 on Kijiji - the guy is selling two engines for $100 a piece...  I'm wondering if I should keep mine, or pick one of the full engines up, grab the head off it (where my stripped exhaust bolt hole is) - then take the chance of the valve seals maybe being good or not....  OR, should I just stick with mine and clean it up?  Decisions decisions....

Sounds like you'll be fixing your parts.

Got some good pics of the stripped threads on the crankcase here...you can see how it's just open at the bottom.