XVS 125 and whats possible

Underdog
This post is 3880 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So in the absence of an actual bike I've been looking at photos of lots of bikes, standard and modified. My two real dislikes on standard dragstars are the rear mudguard and the exhausts.

So 2 questions, what can I do with problem number 1? I do love the look of the small and low bobber rear guards but would mean cutting the supporting cage to achieve it. Is there a compromised way of getting it to follow the shape of the rear wheel better and making it look closer without chopping the cage off .

Then, the pipes, I just dislike how long they are, what's the easiest and cost effective way of shortening them, power or noise gains are not important.

Thanks for reading

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There is basically nothing you can do to an xvs125 that won't slash its value. Leave it alone, sell it on later, get a xvs650 and mod it to your heart's content.

There's a few guys on here that have gone the bobber route. Sure they can give you the advice you want.
I like my xvs 125 kitted out bigger not smaller. That's how I'm headed. Not bothered on the loss of speed.

you don`t need more than 2 months to get some experience, learn the controls, beat your "fears", and learn some useful things. take me 3 weeks to have full control of my first bike, so, if you are a bad biker, max 2 months. you don`t have time enough in this time to be unhappy with how your bike is looking. so, if you really want a big bike, take your licence and buy a big bike. I guess a 650 will be easy to ride for a new new rider.

is a newbie opinion, and i`m pretty sure i`m not wrong in what I say.

I'm not bothered about having a big or bigger bike (yeah I know easy to say :D ) it has taken 7 years to convince my wife that a 125 isn't a death machine so going up to a 650 could be a little while away yet, so a bigger bike would probably be years away if at all. Just want something for running around on when kids are in school and wife in work.

I've had bikes in the past (had my first off on a yam 50cc when I was 5) but not ridden for over 15 years, cars were just too practical during this period I guess.

Sadly mate the only way to get the tear fender (mud guard) close to the rear wheel is to cut off that cage it's only there to support the plastic and a pillion but if you ain't taking a pillion then get shot of it. The next stage is to use the existing fender you have and cut it to the shape you want, my rear fender on my 650 is a cut down 125. Then you need to find a new way to mount it.

Next up you will need a new seat as the standard One will no longer fit, lots on e bay then you need to figure out a way to mount that.

Next will be new handle bars and grips. And then and new way to mount the number plate and lights.

I did have a website that sold after market exhaust but if you want to do it cheap then just cut the stock ones down, but then you need to sort the carbs out other wise you will kill the engine. Think long and hard about doing the exhausts and do alot of reading on them, if you can find after market ones buy them but they are like rocking horse shit.

Good luck

Cheers for the advice, I could probably live with the exhausts (if I really had to) just think by the time you shorten the look of the back you make the already too long pipes look waaay too big :D

Thought the rear of the frame would need to go, having no welding skills the new mounting for the mudguard worries me somewhat. Plate and light I'd like to move to the side (though not sure on legalities of this), had planned on trimming the old seat, didn't realise it needed that frame to fit, so new mounting method could be another concern due to lack of skill. I'd still like it to mount direct to the frame, not on springs. Though I'd happily have a go at making the seat itself.

The fender is only plastic so no welding is needed, could always bung in some discreet riv nuts to mount the fender.

Side plates are fine and I have / had one on the left hand side on mine, but the only drama with them is that you ground them out if your too keen in the bends or its always in your mind that it's there and you don't lean that much in corners.

I need to get hold of a bike and take a look I think, ideally I'd like to keep the cage to offer support for a passanger (just incase its ever needed) but the rear fender just seems so much further away from the wheel than almost all other bikes, if it wasn't so far away then I'd happily just reshape it a bit.

The rest seems straight forward enough, drag bars, risers, New seat and then think about the pipes, oh yeah and actually find a bike for sale :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online