DT125x Rear Shock - Advice Needed

finnerz89
This post is 3910 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So after noticing some dark patches underneath my bike, it appears that my rear shock is leaking oil.

Consulted my manual and guess what, its a non-serviceable part due to the gasses inside. Any leaks and you have to replace the unit.

Checked the price for a new one, its an eye watering £285 from ajsutton.

Had a browse on ebay for some, and can only find ones for the RE or R models, problem being they have, according to google, 30mm higher set height, and a lot more suspension travel

So the question is could I fit one of these to my bike? i'm guessing its a no, but asking anyway in case someone on here has had similar issues?

thanks in advance, Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Paul not a good idea by raising the rear you going to affect the steering head angle,but possibly the x model has lowering links and uses the same shock try running the part #s and see if they are the same,the other option is to go with a preformance shock doubt it would be any cheaper though but atleast it would be rebuildable.

Didn't think it would be, already checked the part numbers they are different, so I'm stuck I think!

Might have to go down the performance route, as I intend on keeping the bike for a long time anyway.

Worth an ask! :( lol

Any possibilty you are handy enough to get some longer links to set the ride hieght back to the same, made up,the bikes weigh's the same,that might be a cheaper way to go.

Maybe some of the brains here can help with the geomometry your droping it 30 mm to get it back to stock height,but the links run on a angle so 30mm longer or shorter wouldn't work you would have to include the angle

Only thing I can think of is putting the bike on a adjustable stand then measuring the bolt centers to make up links at the same ride hieght.

Yeah there must be some calcs that I could use to work it out.

I'm gonna take the shock off at the weekend and have a measure up, and check that it's definitely that that's leaking.

Then see where I can go from there!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online