Gear change issues - DT175

mcferreira100
This post is 3862 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When changing gears when getting to around fourth she doesn't engage properly. Needs a second push into next gear. Is this a gear selector wear problem?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Possibly but rule out everything else first before you think about an engine split.

Oil - new and the correct level

Chain - correctly adjusted

Gear change lever - is it set correctly

Clutch - Is this OK

User error - is it just a technique thing when you start to fly. Can you mentally think of this when you ride the bike?

When I change form bike to bike, I have to remember that the SV has a short gear change distance to flick up the gear lever and the TS has a much longer distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Clutch could be suspect.

As revs pick up she will suddenly start to rev up way too quickly after 5000rpm. This when I`m not touching the clutch. Feels like slippage to me. This bike was pretty knackered when I got it and I`ve done nothing with the clutch.

Are you talking about taking clutch cover off for full mechanism adjustment? Will have to read up on that.

I've a similar problem but as mine has been neglected for 3.5 years its going to get a full check-over and stripped if required! I wouldn't say its the end of the world, just a temporary inconvenience that can and will be sorted!

Would like to hear what you find.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone guide me through a clutch adjustment before I consider replacing clutch packs? Fitted new cable so no problem there. The manual talks of an adjustment screw behind the cover. I have 2 DT175`s and notice the angle on the clutch levers on the engines very different. The one that`s slipping, the angle on this leveris way more forward. Is this maybe a clue its out of adjustment.

yes quite likely

Slacken off the cable adjuster

Take a hold of the push lever at the engine and push it forward until it resists movement

At this point the pointer on the end of the push lever and the pip on the casing should align, use the adjuster in the centre of the pressure plate to achieve this alignment

Now adjust the cable adjuster for approx 10mm of free play at the end of the lever

If the alignment of the pointer and pip is not achievable, then check the wear of the plates by measuring them with a vernier caliper and referencing the specified thickness and wear limits in the manual

Ok..thanks Airhead.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online