'77 XS360 left side not firing

BlackEquinox
This post is 3948 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The left side is not firing... no spark. The coil is getting but nothings coming out... thought it was the coil. Went and bought 2 matching coils from a '78 XS400 and same problem left side no spark. I looked at the points and they seem to be sparking fine.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! =D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok now it's in the right spot you will get som more help just hang tight drewps will most likely have all the answers .

But first the bike has points right? I'm almost positive it does and you need to check them first to see if they are getting power and opening then if thats all good then you probaly need a new condenser.

It's been ages since I worked on one but I belive the points are on the left side of the head and under the 2 inch round cover with 2 phillips screws. Had you put a pict of the other side of the bike I would be sure.

Like I said just wait and drewpy might come to your rescue,this is just bunch of guys who love bikes and have a wealth of know how not a repair site so sometimes it takes a day or 2 for others to see the post but mostly if they can help they will.

points should never spark, so I recon its the condensor.

Its job is to "iron out" the excess current through the contacts to make the spark jump at the right time via the coil

you will also need to check the points contacts now as the sparking is a bit like arc welding and will errode the surface of the contacts making adjustment impossible.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online