Chain Lube.....

SRXy
This post is 6694 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey All,

I've been riding my SRX400 to work and back now for a month. THis is a 80km round trip, most of which is on a highway. I noticed my chain looked a bit dry. I was wondering how often i should lube my chain on my SRX400. It looks pretty dry and i'm concerned about it causing damage. Here are some pics of my chain <i don't know if this helps>

chain9le.jpg

NOw seeing as this is an SRX400, which never goes faster than 90miles/hour and usually putters around at ~60-65miles/hour which chain lube would you suggest??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well mate i'd prob do it once a week and

i personally use motul chain lude as it

don't chuck it all over the back wheel..

And make sure you let it dry don't just

put it on and ride..

Ok....erm.... :icon_redface: .....how do you lube your chain. Is it as simple as just greasing up the chain. How much should you use? I really don't want to end up with a back wheel full of chain lube

Thanks for the hep so far

Most come in a spray can but if you use them it goes every where and wastes it all, I spray it in the lid and use a brush to paint it on.

back wheel of ground and using a spray just

sray into centre of chain while turning wheel..

leave for while to dry then it wont cover the

wheel or tyre..

if its that bad to start with bit if wd40 and

just clean excess rust and muck of be4

you spray chain lube on..

What I do is......spin the wheel in the reverse direction whilst off the ground, & point the straw (usually provided with a can of Chain lube).....towards the inside of the chain as it comes off the rear sprocket.

This lets centrifigal force push the lube Through the chain as it spins.

BTW......Bel-Ray or PJ1 are pretty reliable brands. ;)

you need to clean that chain first, use castrol chain cleaner

i love putoline DX11 chain lube

always apply chain lube after your ride not before, the chain will be warm from friction, and will bake the lube on

• 2 weeks later...

If you are doing 1600 km (1000 mile) per month you should consider a scottoiler. Payback would be fairly quick. Given the state of the chain in the photo you could get as little as 6000 miles out of the chain. That would be 2 chains per year .. approx £140. Scottoiler is about £70 in the UK.

Factor in the hassle factor of having to lube the chain the conventional way, particularly if you do not have a centre stand or paddock stand.

I bought a scottoiler for a TRX that will do less than 4000 per year, just because I'm lazy.

No I don't work for them.

Squirrel

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online