New to the forum with a couple of questions

foo fighter
This post is 4012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, as the title suggests im new here, im about buy a 650 dragstar custom and then turn it in to a bobber. Im wondering how much it is likely to cost to get the engine stripped and rebuilt, and if anyone knows of anywhere local, that could do it, by local i mean the Reading area. just one last question, is it possible to run a single front disk on a dragstar 1100 custom? Only asking as i quite like the cleaner look of a single disk upfront. Looking forward to chattin with you all and gettin to know you.

Thanks

Si

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Si,

Best thing to do mate (cheaper way) is to go get your self a Haynes manual and strip and clean your engine yourself. If you follow the step by step instructions you can't really go wrong.

are you thinking of putting the XVS1100 forks onto the 650 frame? bit confused as you say your buying a 650 but then you asked about the 1100.

Hello and welcome. I work in Reading and I have a mechanic that did all the stuff on my Harley in Caversham. He can pretty much work on any bike (he's gonna be looking after my XJ) and I'm sure he could strip your engine. He's an excellent mechanic and nice bloke. Think he charges about £40 an hour labour. I can put the two of you in touch if you're interested? :)

Do you need to strip the motor I thought these were reliable? As for the single disc setup anything is possible but easier if you get the whole front end off an 1100.

Being a Reading chap, I also know someone who can do this. Several people in fact, but some are seriously overpriced.

My decent guy is just past Cemetary Junction. He knows the Draggies very well (both of mine in particular) and could quite easily handle the 650 takedown for you.

Let me know if you're interested.

As for the 1100, yes it's very possible but the thing would likely not stop very well. The 1100 has 60HP of serious low-end torque and there's a FUCKING GOOD reason it has twin discs... It's not something I would really advise, especially if you're going to fiddle about with it. Heck, even the 650 could do with a second disc!

Thanks for all the replies guys, good to know there are a few people local that could do an engine strip down,im only thinking of an engine rebuild, as i figured if im doing all this work with the body work then, the engine may aswell get an overhaul. Sorry for the confusion about single disks at the front, i typed the original post after a very long day so the brain was a bit frazzled,but i think Ttaskmaster got what i was meaning i havent bought a bike yet as i was debating between the 650 or 1100 but think i will stick to a 650. Just out of interest has anyone tried or know how awkward it would be to fit a different speedo up near the risers? as i would like to remove the stock one and smoth the tank off.

thanks

Its not that difficult to mount a small speedo up near the risers, if i keep my 650 bobber (still debating) i am swapping the speedo for a smaller on but im mounting mine down where the choke cable is between the tank and seat as i will be running a webber 45 carb so the choke cable will be moved.

I take it you have seen the nice big hole in the tank under the stock speedo clocks on the 650? take care welding a plate over that. Its been done just take care when doing so. suggest leaving the tank to stand for a few weeks with out a petrol cap on to let her air out first.

Custom speedo - Fitting it is easy as pie. Hell, *I* could do it, so it's clearly not that hard!!

You'll probably need a slightly longer cable than the stock one, depending on how you choose to route it and all that. Once that's sorted, it's mostly just a case of bolting it all together.

However, as Noisy says, you'll have to consider the big hole left in the stock tank, as well as what to do about the 'idiot lights' - Indicator, Beam, Neutral and Engine Warning.

Can you do without them?

Do you want them relocated as well?

Thanks for the replies again, will have to get a friend of mine who is a bit handy with a welder, to look at covering the hole left by the speedo. As far as idiot lights go i could probably do with out them, but a neutral light might be handy from time to time. You may well have gathered that i am not that mechanically minded, so this is going to be a big challenge for me, but if nothing else, i am determined to give it a crack. Am i right in thinking there is a difference in size between the front wheels on the 650 custom and the 650 classic?? One final question, the classic model has shrouds over the forks, would i be right in thinking that if i remove said shrouds, the forks are the same as those on the custom 650?? And that the classic and custom are infact the same basic frame and engine,just with different fenders. I know these are all stupid questions, but i really want to make sure i get this right first time.

thanks

Classic wheel is indeed massive (for no good reason, apparently).

Not sure about the forks, but I imagine the Classic yoke is wider to accomodate the fat wheel.

The classic 650 is exactly the same as the custom in every way bar the fenders. If you take the shrouds off you will be looking at the same forks as the custom. Hard to find a complete set of them shrouds on ebay. Ive seen the lower shrouds but not a full set. If you want some good web sites for good bobber stuff let me know and I will sort you out. Most are USA sites but still great kit

Hmm... How do they accomodate the fatter wheel, then?
They have narrower spacers, or summat?
I can't say I bothered to look that closely at my ex's Classic. Just enough to see the wheel was as fat as her arse, heh heh!!

:headscratch: not too sure how they fit the fatter wheel...................Jap magic or some thing?

If you think about it, why would they spend an extra god knows how much on time, labor and design just to accommodate a fat wheel, if they can fit one into the same forks that they have in stock for pretty much the same bike im sure they'd use em??? (i would think any way)

think i will have to have a google

thanks for that noise, if you could provide me with some websites for bobber kit that would be great. I'm thinking of getting a 650 clasic and using it for a whille before i go down the bobber route, i like the fatter looking front wheel on a bobber hence why i want the classic. What is the 650 like 2 up? does it struggle a bit with a pillion? or does it cope ok?

Thanks

2-up is pretty good. Lags a bit, but you only notice it if you usually ride like a loony.

Top end is around 85 easy. Perfect for motorways.

Make sure your pillion grips you low down, as you'll find you use your upper body a lot to steer. Backrests are very useful for this reason. Also, the pillion pegs are quite high up so remember to stop and let them stretch their legs.

She'll likely still have problems - Mine is only 5' 4".

Part of the issue is simply being sat in a fixed position for 90+ minutes, especially if you have no backrest.

Stopping is always good anyway. Keeps you fresh and alert for all the dickheads out there and if you haven't done much long distance 2-up riding before, it's great to ease you into it.

Thanks for that Ttaskmaster, the wife and i have been chatting and have decided that we will get an 1100 classic to enjoy through the summer and then over winter i will look at getting a 650 custom and go down the boober route with it, while still having the 1100 classic to chill out on. Anything i should look out for when buying an 1100 classic??

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online