excited new member from Portland, OR who forgot his manners

This post is 4037 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

im new to motorcycles and very new to two stroke motors. i just bought 72 CS5 200 thats not currently running. the motor tuns over and has good compression. im not gettting any spark (seems to have newer ignition coils and plugs/wires) and the guy that had the bike before me seemed to think there was a problem with carbs that needed adjustment. so far ive taken the tank off for cleaning and im going to clean the carbs and get them back on. also i need to replace the battery. then i think ill be ready to find the real problems that need solved. any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. im really looking forward to gettin on the road.

can anyone tell me the oil/gas ratio for this bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Oil to gas ratio? isn't the oil pump working as that is the most effective way of controlling the mix.

ive heard the oil pump can be unreliable and the guy before me seems to have been premixing as well. i just dont want to risk seizing the motor.

as for service manuals ive got the clymer manual for 90-200cc twins from 66-77 and two yamaha cs5 service manuals.(one is for sale if anyone is looking) i cant seem to find the mix spec though. i think because its normally done by the pump.

Make checking the pump one of the things to do when getting the bike up and running. I wouldn't premix unless I didn't have a pump.

You need to make a list of what you are going to check to get the bike running. I know that Sacha pointed you to a thread on the points in the other thread you posted. It can get frustrating and that is why it needs to be done in a methodical way.

i dont know the the procedure to adjust the points. (which screws to turn) the manual i have aren't very helpful in that regard. they are good for trouble shooting but ive never touched points on a motorcycle before. any recommendations on a different manual?

as far as that list goes, this is what ive got:

-battery

-clean the tank/ find a good mix ratio for oil and gas

-clean the carbs

-find out why im not gettin spark(my guess is the points)

-adjust the points

what do you think?

Page 64 of the manual shows you what do do for the points.

To get a better understanding take a look at some you tube videos on 2 stroke point adjusting. The manual should then give you the specs and the you tube video should show you what things look like in greater detail.

Something like this to start

• Like 1

well in there it tells you how to check the timing, the oil pump...many things

so yeah i saw that but it doesn't actually tell/show how to move the points. do i have to adjust the timing in order to adjust the gap in the points?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online