gears

car45869
This post is 4054 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was just given a 1979 Yamaha sx 750 special and I am wanting to know how many gears and how many up and how many down. I need to check to see if it is in neutral since the back tire will not roll

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. An introduction in the cunningly disguised New Members Area would make your stay here a much more pleasant experience, trust me.

2. With very few exceptions, all motorcycles for the last 40-odd years have used the "one down, the rest up, neutral in between 1st and 2nd" pattern. The XS is not one of the exceptions.

3. Quickest check is to whip the clutch in, if the rear wheel turns like that then you're probably in gear, if not either the clutch is stuck, the rear brake is jammed on or the wheel bearings are seized (possibly the shaft drive has locked as well).

4. As I recall the XS was a 5 speeder.

5. Welcome to the club, now do be a good chap and give us a proper intro, thanks.

Who did you upset to be given that?

anyway just keep tapping down on on the gear shift with the clutch pulled in till it hit bottom, you can tell cos it will feel more solid than when changing down through the gears then do one short shift up that should neutral if not check all the above as kirriepete so kindly mentioned welcome to YOC, good luck with the bike

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online