1986 Yamaha Radian Tank Removal

dfawlt
This post is 4062 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a new bike and its just pissing oil.

I want to get a better look and remove the tank.

The service manual says turn the fuel cock to on before removing everything. It also says to start the engine and get it warm and doesn't say to turn the engine off.

I'm worried about leaking fuel everywhere.

Is it simply removing the fuel pipe, vacuum pipe and breather pipe then taking the bolt out and popping the tank off?

Do I really leave the fuel cock to ON and disconnect stuff?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Leave the fuel cock on

The cock operates buy using the vacuum created by the engine, the vac pulls the piston in the cock into the open position, allowing the fuel through to the engine.

Engine not running, no fuel flow

Is it pissing oil, or is it pissing fuel, your statement isnt clear, if one or the other where is it/they leaking from?

For tank removal, key in the seat lock and remove the seat, undo and remove the bolt at the back end of the tank, lift the back end of the tank a couple of inches, then pull the tank directly backwards. The front f the tank locates on 2 round rubber bungswhch are fixed to the frame. They may well be tight to pull off, work the tank sideways a little at a time to break any crap holding them in. Be patient. Careful not to pull any of the pipes off the fuel tap

Once the tank is free, chock it up a few inches with a piece of wood, make a note of which pipe comes from where/goes to where on the cock, then disconnect them

Dontdo it with the engine on

If your cock is good, it shouldnt leak, it it is thats your problem, seal kits are available, but many folk over the pond simply replace the cock with a straight on/off/resrve type. If you do that, dont forget to blank off the vac connection on the engine rubber

Good luck

Contact your local bike dealer do not atempt this yourself !

...If your cock is good, it shouldnt leak...

If your cock is leaking, you should see the doctor...

:biglaugha:

(Couldn't resist...sorry)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online