YZF 750 Engine life ?

Ford Prefect
This post is 6681 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi im new here and ive just bought a YZF 750 R which has covered 43000 miles and is in very good condition and has been serviced well by previous owners.The bike goes realy well but I dont know anything about these machines so can anyone tell me what the common faults to look out for are on them and how long should the engines last on these as well.

Ta very much :D ,

Trev

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The bike goes realy well but I dont know anything about these machines so can anyone tell me what the common faults to look out for are on them

Common fault as with most higher powered bikes is a tendency for the rubber bits to loose contact with the asphalt, resulting in uncontrolled abrasion of the upper and side parts.

:D

• Admin

Warped front discs is the most annoying bit with a yzf, the six pots even killed my pro-lites!!! luckily ebc replaced them free of charge!

Exup value seizing up for one as well.keep a eye on

the oil level as yours has done a few miles.about

1000 miles to every litre aint unknown or if

it gets a trash like mine 600 miles to a litre

but engine for it over winter.

• Admin

Yeah rear shock! You can pick up a nice ohlins adjustable pretty cheap these days now B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin

I have to say i think that i was exceptionally lucky as my YZF hardly used any oil, compared to what i would read about :o

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with all of the above. Mine has had the lot.

Only thing I've found lately is the fact it now smokes a bit when giving it some stick, so i guess the time has come to redo the valves.

This, although not difficult to do, costs about £300 from a Yam dealer due to the time involved.

Got to say though, that although my yzf 750 only comes out to play once a month ( mainly due to the fact, the rest of the time I'm on the R1), I still love it and is definately more planted than the R1.

I have about 2mm of hero band on the R1 yet on the Yzf, I have none.

207's work really well on the 750 and give you confidence you would not believe, even in the wet.

They (in my opinion) don't work so well on the R1 and so next time, ( probably just before Le Mans) I'm going to put diablos on!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online