dt125a

madmatts
This post is 4009 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

have this old dt, trying to turn it in to a gp sort of.

crash diet ! electrical is becoming a problem.

didn't realize it was a starter/generator type. was thinking

of using a lithem battery, still going full LED even

head light. but this old school reg has got me scratching

my head. now with this starter generator, should i go

with a 32v battery. to get the amps need for starter.

or should i just pull it off and go with cdi and regular

mag setup and kick start. would be cheeper and less

weight. is this posible?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can you not fit the backplate and flywheel from a non leccy start bike. Non cdi just points and condenser..

Then you would only need minimal wiring instead of the rats nest needed for yours.

thats the plan lol, the volt reg alone weights a pound.

problem is so fue of these bikes in canada, and dont

have any wiring diagrams. right now use one from

old kawasaki. thats why joined this, hope someone

had wiring diagram. cant even buy clutch disc's here

for it. these bikes just dont exist here anymore, got feeler's

out for front end part end too. but springs long way off, and

worse case reg is still good. just not use starter, go with 12v

lithium batt run lights and coil.

Could you by overseas. Parts are readily available here. A lot of uk breakers will ship.

Same with the manual you want. Haynes do one. Wiring diagram is rough but a lot better than nowt.

Hi matt what front end parts do you need? Bearings and fork seals are easy to get from a bearing and seal supplier just give them the #'s off the old part.And about 1/3rd the price vs the bike shops.

Lithium batteries are ok but not good for a complet loss system,LI Po batteries have a low thresh hold limit if run below that they are junk and you have to buy another one ,also if over charged they can catch fire,Nicad and NiMH can be run right down without killing them.

• 3 months later...

went with a gel battery. going to stay with stock generator, want to use the starter and get rid of kick start lever.

so far the lighting has worked out good, with ever light on only drawing 1/2 an amp. looks like can use volt reg

from 80s sled ( kimpex part ) easy to get. was able to backdoor Yamaha parts catalog from US dealer, got all

the part# need for engine. can get everything out the UK, hope to have running by june sometime.

Thats good news,just wondering why go with a e start and not the kick so much weight to be saved removing the starter and you could have bought a much smaller battery as you don't need the power to drive the estarter.Or is the starter on that part of the gennie?

I take it your going cafe' style with this project from the thread about forks,post some picts up so everyone can have a look as you go :popcorn:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online