Hi!

This post is 4167 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

I'm 16 in March and I have got myself a Yamaha DT50Mx (1987). The bike needs a bit of a tidy up, paint, fork seals and a few other bits. My dad has had a bike accident and my mum doesn't want me on the road, but I have a pit bike and I'm still learning. For the past 2 years I've been excited about getting a moped but I'm not sure if I'll ever get on the thing.

Would it be worth upgrading up to a newer dt50 with disc brakes, better lighting etc just to make riding safer?

Hope to hear back from you.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome.

Safe riding is more about experience, attitude, maturity, roadcraft, awareness and the like than having a disk brake or better lights.

My mum said similar things when I was looking at buying my first bike.

Hi and welcome.

Safe riding is more about experience, attitude, maturity, roadcraft, awareness and the like than having a disk brake or better lights.

My mum said similar things when I was looking at buying my first bike.

She believes I'm a safe rider, but she is worried about the cars....

She believes I'm a safe rider, but she is worried about the cars....

So am I. They can kill you and hurt a lot when they hit you (or you hit them). The day I stop worrying about cars is the day I give up riding. The problem is, when riding is in your blood, it never goes away.

So am I. They can kill you and hurt a lot when they hit you (or you hit them). The day I stop worrying about cars is the day I give up riding. The problem is, when riding is in your blood, it never goes away.

My Dad's accident was serious, so I can see why she is worried.

The road I would be mainly riding does have its small hazards, but nothing major. I've ridden my bicycle along there and she's fine with that. Seeing as I'm riding at 30mph with a lot of safety gear, I don't see how it can be any more dangerous than riding my bicycle (A helmet, gloves and at about 25mph) I think it's more dangerous than riding the ped.

ANYONE can get in an accident, whether on a bicycle , ped, big 1000's , cars, on the damn bus. It's all about minimizing the risk. if you have all the kit on your probably safer on the 50 then a bicycle, as helmets, gloves and everything are made to be skidded down the road and stay in tact, also you will have lights and indicators if there fitted?

My advise to you is go for it kid! just make sure you suit up, and for the love of god don't ride in your trackies or whatever, even jeans don't even really give any protection over a few miles an hour, get some textile trousers and jacket. Be cautions of cars, ALL cars...they ARE out to get you, whether they know it or not ;)

ANYONE can get in an accident, whether on a bicycle , ped, big 1000's , cars, on the damn bus. It's all about minimizing the risk. if you have all the kit on your probably safer on the 50 then a bicycle, as helmets, gloves and everything are made to be skidded down the road and stay in tact, also you will have lights and indicators if there fitted?

My advise to you is go for it kid! just make sure you suit up, and for the love of god don't ride in your trackies or whatever, even jeans don't even really give any protection over a few miles an hour, get some textile trousers and jacket. Be cautions of cars, ALL cars...they ARE out to get you, whether they know it or not ;)

Thanks, I've got all the kit from top to bottom. I'll probably wear my MX boots.

Hello and :welcome: Doesn't look to be in too bad a shape from where I'm looking. Be safe and enjoy the ride!

Hey and welcome to the forum!

Really smart looking bike for the age, I'm sure you'll have a blast on it!

Take care out there too. :-)

had a dt 50 when i was 16

long time ago 1981

went everywhere on it

take care,suit up and you will be fine

oh yeah do you not you need a rear reflector for your MOT? might save ya going back after again. not 100% sure if you do, but i was assured that i had to have one on it?

only like £2.30 or something from ebay. might even be some in ur local petrol station.

Welcome that's a sweet bike for 23 years old i doubt if you bought a new one it would be any better than the 1 you've got. Always wear protective gear, always ride for yourself especially when riding in a group, always expect other road users to do the most stupid things they wont disappoint you, and finally enjoy your bike i still do after 40 odd years riding.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online