Autolube + two stroke oil in the tank not recommended!?!?

jim*jimbo
This post is 4281 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Some of you guys know that I recently bought an old (but willing - bit like me) ty175.

Having got it home (after a 10 hour round trip) and got it started (after reconnecting a wire that had pulled off the coil under the tank in transit) it seemed to be running a bit hot - just a hunch having had loads of air cooled two strokes in the past and not having the benefit of a temp guage!

Then I remembered a comment that the seller made - i.e. he always put an eggcup full of oil in the petrol tank when he filled up - a ty175 only holds 4 litre of fuel from absolute empty.

Adding extra lubricant may seem like a good idea but apparently can cause the engine to run hot and possibly cause damage. The reason is fairly simple: if the engine runs on a leaner fuel to air ratio than recommended it will run hotter.So by adding oil to the tank (assuming the autolube is operating correctly) it increases the air to fuel ratio thus overheating may occur.

Just a thought and hoping it may avoid some problems out there in Yam world.

As always - I stand to be corrected and/or better informed.

Jimbo.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not that it needs a second opinion but tis true.

Too lean will hole the piston. The other thing is that the new synthetic oils can run at a much lower ratio. Some oils can run at 50:1 when a lot of the older bikes were designed to run on a 32:1 ratio.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online