Frantically Searching for 82 Maxim Help

This post is 4310 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I acquired an 82 Maxim XJ650 about 3 months ago. Been riding like crazy since. Love this bike. Hit my first big hiccup. I have a hole in my right exhaust pipe. Very close to the back passenger peg but on the bottom of the pipe. The hole is about quarter sized and it has a crack that goes up the side of the pipe about 3". I doubt this is patch-able. It's not rideable. I tried. It sounds awesome but rides like sh*t. Feels like I'm out of gas. That being said, I need a cost effective replacement. My only dilemma is that this bike is in amazing shape. This small rust hole is the ONLY rust spot on the entire bike. The left pipe looks perfect. Granted, the inside of the pipes could be rusted out for all I know. So...the replacement pipe needs to be super clean and hopefully pretty cheap. The p/n off the pipe is YAMAHA 4H7-14721. Any help is appreciated. I'm also open to cost effective alternative exhaust or replicas. I imagine finding clean pipes that are 30+ years old will be quite a chore. Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, EBAY do have silencers for this bike but they are expensive about £300 for a complete set, are you sure that you cant patch the hole in yours, even if it looks horrible it's better than forking out hundreds of dollars for just one hole, what about a silencer wrap one of those things that have a bandage and strapping that you get wet and just mould around the pipe as a temporary fix? Your right about getting a 30 year old set is next to impossible and the only ones I have found are pattern ones which are usually 4/2 in to 1, it might be an idea to look at bike breakers in your local area and see if there are any to be had off of a donor bike. U S Ebay had some the last time I looked and they were at a reasonable price compared to what we have to pay in the UK, it's like treasure island here every thing costs a bloody fortune about twice the price as anywhere else, good luck finding your exhaust and hope your back on the road soon. :jossun:

If you like the sound why not put a pair or slip-on mufflers as long as the front pipes are good and it sounds as if they are. Kerker ,yoshamira, supertrap ect make em not realy cheap but cheapre thany stock sound great and a tiny bit of preformance gain