Bought myself an old XJ600 but need help.

kevinneill889
This post is 4327 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

like i said the spring is nothing to worry about, be carefull if you plan on taking it off though, its under a lot of tension and is likely to fook off on its own, be sure to use spring compressors of some sort

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ah can it be removed?.

Anyway more problems. I went out ten mins ago to give her a wee start and she wont bloody start. The only thing i done was remove the battery last night and moved a black box sitting on top of my battery which bye the way have no idea why its just sitting there on top of my battery.

The bike has started no probs since i got her so im worried now, i turnred and turned till the battery had no more but nothing. it did try a couple of times but i cant be having this as i bought it as a means of transport for work. I did get a back fire at one point but im thinking thats just unburnt fuel.

Any ideas?

it probably can be removed if you are determined to do so, i wouldnt reccomend it as i like having both my eyes, the black box infront of the battery is the ECU, it controls various engine parameters and theres a good chance you have pulled out the connector blocks that slot into it, causing starting/running issues

Yeah i had a look at that it says something ignitor on it. Check this though and it seems fine.

The black box is not fixed to anything as it looks as if the battery has been changed to a bigger unit as the battery box has been cut to allow it to fit so the black box it just sitting on top of the battery.

It's as if its flooded for some reason but i cant see why as i just pulled the choke as usuall and tried to start it. Does it do anything if i leave the tap at prime as i might have done this but again unsure. It's doing my head in as it was fine when i got it as i started it a good few times with no probs.

Is there any way to clear a flooded engine on a bike, sorry but im no clued up on bikes.

Might not be this as you have already had it running, but on my old one from new, you had to make sure that the choke was all the way out, sometimes it felt as though it was all the way out but there was a little bit more.

Would also take out a plug and check for a spark to rule out ignition problems.

The XJs do have a habit or flooding if you arent carefull, take the plugs out and put some rags around the spark plug holes and give it a spin on the starter for a few seconds, this should be sufficient to clear the cylinders, photos of the mysterious black box would be helpfull, and as above definately check for spark

Sorry ive not been on to reply but i have been out at the bike.

Anyway i got it going again turned out the black box i mentioned had yellow tape round it when i bought it but never thought anything of this. I then thought i would take this off to see why it has the tape only to find the box had been chewed up from some numpty trying to open it. It was not waterproof and some water had managed to get into this unit.

I pulled it out gave it a good blow with an air jet and sealed it back up with sealent, plugged it back in and fired straight up :hyper: .

Cheers for the help though fellas was good of you.

UPDATE: MOT today at ten so fingers crossed.

Well good news folks it passed with no problem, but did say my front calipers are binding a bit though i did strip and clean them hmm.

Also nothing to do with mot but said my clutch could be doing with replacing, is this a hard job to do?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online