Can I align my shift cam index marks like this . . .?

oldbikerehab
This post is 4334 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After splitting the cases on my 1978 DT175E, I got the transmission in place and aligned the shift drum neutral ball indicator just off the neutral indicator on the case, the gears spun freely, and I followed the clymer manual through sealing the cases back together.

I installed the cam pin, cam, shift arm, springs etc. until the manual says to push the shift arm down into 1st gear to check the alignment of the index marks on the cam and upper part of the shift arm.

shift-cam.jpg

My marks were not originally in line, so the manual says to adjust using this eccentric screw and locknut.

eccentric-screw.jpg

I dont have a deep socket to loosen it so I just lifted the upper shift arm and turned the cam until the outer marks lined up as seen in the photo above.

Now, with the shift lever pressed down and index marks lined up and everything spinning freely. . . Will aligning like this work? I don't want to get the rest of the bike together and find out that I the transmission is jacked and I have to take it apart again. Any tests I can do to make sure everything is aligned?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It seems like it should work to me too. I just can't figure out why Yamaha would go to the trouble of incorporating an adjustment screw with a locknut and a lock washer when all you have to do is adjust the cam. I can only guess that it's intended for when someone seals the transmission in the case and needs to fine tune. Maybe if the neutral ball is close enough, things fall into place. I guess I'll soon find out if I need to split the case again . . .

Think you will find that the screw adjuster is eccentric in that if you screw it in or out it moves the shift lever that "Hooks" on the pins on the end of the selector drum to the left or right. Seem to remember you put the bke in gear and make sure the gap between the left and right hooks and pins are equal. If not you undo the locknut and turn the eccentric screw in or out until the gaps are equal. Hope this makes sense. Tony

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online