DT125 3rm 4bl

This post is 4100 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI

i waswondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the 3rm and the 4bl ! i recently bought a dt 125 r it was off road and had no frame no but the engine no is a 4bl but there was a sticker on the frame under the sadle that just said 3rm b. is this normal or has the engine been changed ? i am planning on refurbing the bike and making it road legal ( so need to source spairs). any help for a newbie would be greatly appriceated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

4BL is the start of the Frame and Engine number. It relates the the year of the bike. 4BL is 1998 for sure and i was also used for a couple of other years around then. The Frame number is located on the right hand side of the frame where the forks pass through. It should start with 4BL and match the engine number. If it has been removed there is no way of telling if the engine and frame are from the same bike. 3RM relates to part numbers for the bike. It won't tell you anything about the engine/frame.

90-96 was 3DB

97-98 was 4BL

99-2002 was DE031

2004 was DE061

That was taken from Aj Sutton (www.yamahamotorcylclespares.co.uk

Also try www.WeMoto.com

You really need to know your frame number although there would be other ways of working it out. I would imagine its 1997 or 1998 if it has a 4BL engine in it. It more than likely been stolen at somepoint though.

Thanks for the info

so if i need to order spares i would order against the 3RM No:?

I will set up a photbucket account today and get some pics up. my plan is to register it on a q with DVLA get it MOT'ed and legal then strip it and refurb it. if you guys think there is a better way please advise.

i am an electrical/mechanical engineer so am happy in my ablities i have just never worked on a bike before !

any pointers / advice will be gladly received.

Cheers for the help

You wont find parts by using the 3RM number. That number is on most DT125R's i beleive. The problem is that the bikes changed somewhat over the years. Most noticably in 1999 and then again in 2002 and then to the RE in 2004. If your bike has been used off road it may be a mish mash of parts. If you are completely re building it then you are in a better position as you can start from the ground up and choose what you want to put there. E.g Start with a fresh frame and base it around that. If you are going to re register it you'll need a frame number. I don't beleive the DVLA will issue you a logbook or registration without one.

A new frame with a V5 fetches well over £200 on ebay as there are alot of people in your position with stolen bikes or bikes with the frame numbers mysteriously removed!

Use sites like www.yamahamotorcylespares.co.uk and www.wemoto.com for spares. You can cross match them to see if they were only on specific years of DT's. The exhaust is one to look out for as I'm finding. It changes in 1999 and so later ones wont fit on the pre 99 models.

Check for a part number on the exhaust or find another part that is on pre 99 bikes and not on the later ones and take the part number to Yamaha and ask for them to search what year bike it came from.

Take a photo of the oil pump cover on the R/H engine casing. We can work out whether its a pre 99 engine to start with.

Andy

........... You can cross match them to see if they were only on specific years of DT's. The exhaust is one to look out for as I'm finding. It changes in 1999 and so later ones wont fit on the pre 99 models.

re the fitting ......is this a fact Andy? I always thought they all fit and the difference in part # refers to the differing restrictions within the exhaust

IMAG0414.jpg

Hi here is a pic of the bike

i am at work at the mo but will post a pic of the oil pump cover and check the exhaust when i get home. the idea is to completely strip / rebuild the bike so when i get the hang of posting pictures on here i will keep you all updated. and no doubt be sking a lot more questions. thanks for all the advice

re the fitting ......is this a fact Andy? I always thought they all fit and the difference in part # refers to the differing restrictions within the exhaust

When my friend bought his 2001 it had a Big one exhuast on it with holes in the downpipe. I found a 1990 bike being broken on ebay and bought the Frame and exhaust from the bike. The Exhaust I gave to him to replace his holed one and when we were fitting the middle fitting hole ( where the pipe goes from expansion chamber to pipe, towards the silencer) was about an inch away from the captive thread on the frame. By this i mean if you had a long bolt it would go straight through, but would need a spacer between the exhaust hole and the mount on the frame. Does this make sense? I thought it could just be a bent exhaust but when i checked on AJ sutton, the exhaust from my 1999 bike is the same part from the first DTR up to 1998. If you click the link below and look at the "PRODUCT FITMENT" section to the upper right it shows what i mean. From 1999 on they are not listed as being suitable for this exhaust.

DEP, Big one etc seem to list all theirs as 88-04 or some 88 onwards. I think this is because they use that springed joint at the manifold end which would allow the zorst to be pulled into place but not 100% sure. My DEP doesnt have that so i guess it wouldnt fit a 1999 onwards bike? hmmm

IMAG0414.jpg

Hi here is a pic of the bike

i am at work at the mo but will post a pic of the oil pump cover and check the exhaust when i get home. the idea is to completely strip / rebuild the bike so when i get the hang of posting pictures on here i will keep you all updated. and no doubt be sking a lot more questions. thanks for all the advice

Hi, your bike based on the "chamber,air" as called by yamaha, is a 1999 onwards.By this i mean the little air bottle on the side of the carb to airbox pipe. It was only featured on 1999 onwards bikes and some people claim it to be a restriction. Whether it is or not I can't say as I havnt experimted. If you click the link below it at look at the top right it will show all the bikes your bike could be based on that air bottle.

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/partImage.asp?GPN=Z8K\68%3A%3E65555&uid=0

The fact that the engine in it is a 4BL is strange and if AirHeads was an import with a 4BL engine in then i guess yours is too, or someone has changed the engine at some stage. If it is a 4BL engine the oil pump cover should be more of a casing than a cover but then again if its a import who knows.

The majority of parts are the same for the bikes and there were only subtle changes so I would buy parts based on it being between a 1999 and 2004 DT125R and if you are worried, jump on here and someone will help you out.

Your main issue i would say is the frame though.

IMAG0439.jpg

dont know if there is anymore information to be gained from this!

thanks for the help i will start ordering pats fairly soon so will keep you updated.

i did manage to scrape some paint of the front stock to reveal a partial no looks like the original fatory sticker has this got any relevant informaion on ?

IMAG0433.jpg

No there is an area to the side of this which has definately been ground off then painted over. i just wondered if i could gain any info from the no's at the bottom of the sticker. not to worry as if worst comes to worst the dvla said they would give me a new vin no which i would have to then mot and insure against then when that is done they will issue me q plate registration documents.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

the strip is coming along nicely now frame is about to be blasted/coated. the only thing i am struggling with is the rear suspension pivot shaft that links the relay unit to the actal frame. it has a bolt on both sides i have removed the right bolt (looking forward) but the actual shaft head (22mm) one of the corners is being blocked by a doubler plate welded to the frame so i cant turn it to undo it. the only way it looks like it could have been fitted is before the frame was welded in that area! i will put a pic up soon but could anyone advise is this a common problem do i need a a special tool or what /

thanks in advance

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks Airhead

the bike build is coming along nicely now (pictures to follow!) the engine has been rebuilt, frame powder coated etc etc. i need to redo the bike loom i am happy with evrything except the CDI is there any usefull links about for the pin outs on this ?

thanks

Ben

• 6 months later...

hey guys,

been a while but the bike is coming along now!

im getting quite alot of white smoke out the exhaust now its running (lots more than usual), and was wondering if there were any common problems on dt's that you know of. my friend said it could be because i have started it quite a few times but as its not registered yet i cant take it out and he said the mayonaise/emulsifying coming from the exhaust could be due to the head gasket (obviously) or because of the amount of times its been started without letting it run for a while ( max ive had it running is bout 10 mins- started it quite a few times ). can anyone shed some light as i dont mind checking the head gasket but wondered if anyone had any bright ideas in case its not the gasket. the coolant level isnt draining any quicker than normal and all the oil levels seem fine. i have checked the compression and that seems fine as well, probably as i have changed the rings and the bore looked like new. please help !

thanks in advance.

Dont worry. Being a 2 stroke it will operate best at high revs and at low it will build up carbon desposits and the exhaust will be all coked up. A good blast will clear it through. Or you could take it off and clean with caustic soda. I personally would leave it. Wait until you are able to ride it. ensure you warm it up nicely and then take it for a good blat. It will probably clear. My DT125R 1998 chucked out mammoth amounts of white smoke on my first ride of it. Cleared nicely and now runs well.

Might also be worth checking your oil pump settings.

If you cna get a quick video or a few photos i quick succesion im sure people will be able to reassure you.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online