DT175/125

PICTURE_MAN36
This post is 4336 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Think I'm a sucker for challenges! I seem to be collecting 2 stroke DT's. I currently own a 125MX which has morphed into a 175MX and will be a restoration project, and also a DT125LC II which again will be a restoration project.

I picked up a frame from EBAY, primarily because it had a better swinging arm for peanuts, and after a few beers have come up with a crazy idea to put it back on the road as a project bike... here lies the problem..

It's not a UK spec model, (Frame number starts 18G ******) which I've had confirmed by Yamaha UK, but it's a DT125/175L which is a cross between an 'MX' & and LC Mk I.

Cosmetically it looks like a LC, but its got MX mechanicals. (Yamaha UK say that the frame is designed to take 2A6 crankcases which sort of leads me to think it'll take an MX engine either 125 or 175)... My MX has 2A8 stamped on the cases but its a very late '83 MX model which I'm told was the very last of the MX's which came here before we went over to LC's

I'd like to be able to compare which parts are 'LC' and which are 'MX' so I can start hunting bits down... I'd love to fit a 250 engine just for something different, but I'm guessing that the 250 does not share the same crankcases as the 125 & 175??? I've never seen a 250. Did the UK get them?

I've enclosed a picture I found on the web of the finished item... I believe this model ended up in the Far East, Caribbean, Africa South America etc....

Does anyone know where I could get a parts manual from???

Any response would be appreciative...

Thank you

yamaha-dt-175-02.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You believe right they were building them right up untill around 2009/10 primarily in asia and australia.

The DT1 or Dt250 was a bit of a lump and didn't sell well.

As far as it goes the lc and mx engines are pretty much the same, the lc barrel fits the mx cases and the RH outer cover had a water pump built in running from the oil drive.

The big difference is in the porting in the barrel its self as i understand it. Much more advanced and the piston/bore tolerances are finer as well as better carb set up means a much better bike to ride..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online