Yamaha DragStar 650 - liquid cooled?

Tudor Panait
This post is 4327 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone,

I own a 650 DragStar which I purchased one year ago from a previous owner. I just noticed recently that there is some sort (or half installed) liquid cooling system on it. However, there is no radiator.

I searched over the internet and I couldn't find anything about this but I found a picture with another DragStar with the same system installed (I attached the picture). You can see a black plastic container near the first cylinder.

https://www.dropbox....wywe2net/11.jpg

https://www.dropbox....t8vks0ym/22.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this "system"? Is it a known customization? How is it supposed to work?

It doesn't seem to work now but I want to make it work with someone's advice/help.

Thanks,

Tudor

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know certain States in the US have to have some kind of device that restricts the emission level.

Is it one of those, perhaps?

Or maybe a liquid cooling system jury-rigged from another bike?

Given that the Drag is designed to be air-cooled, I can't see either the point or the reasoning behind fitting one, really.

I know certain States in the US have to have some kind of device that restricts the emission level.

Is it one of those, perhaps?

I checked my bike this evening and there is a hose connecting the fuel tank and this black container. There are hoses connecting the container and the cylinders (I only checked one but I think it connects to both). There are also electrical wires going into this container. You might be right and it can be an emission restriction device - if this is truly controlling the amount of gas pumping into cylinders, I am wondering if I'll get more power by simply disconnecting it.

Okay so I looked over the internet for emission control devices for DragStar and it appears that my little black container is called AIS - it somehow pumps air to help burn any un-burned fuel thus reducing emissions. However, I don't know if removing it will increase engine power, any experience with this?

Try it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online