Dt125R - 1997 - Coolant problem

Dt1WHO5R
This post is 4339 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, cheers for reading, I have had an ongoing problem with my Dt, I fill the radiator every morning and check expansion, always plenty in the expansion tank, but after riding for 25mins I allow it to cool and check coolant levels, there's always some in the expansion but the radiator looks empty! I have flushed the system and checked for leaks, but it looks like the overflow is just pushing all my coolant out! There are a few splatters of coolant under overflow outlet, is there anyway of solving this? I have run out of ideas now.

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers

Toby

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The idea of the expansion is that it holds water for the main rad to suck extra water in when needed and then push it into the tank when it gets under pressure and expands.

Is water being pushed from the expansion overflow or is there one near the rad cap?

before I changed the gasket I would change the thermostat and the radiator cap. Refill and then bleed the system. Also check the colour of the water. is it white, like milk or does it look OK?

There are 2 pipes from expansion, one which leads to main rad, the other looks like it runs through the frame, and outlets near gear leaver, this is where its leaking, no other leaks that I can see. Seems my expansion is sucking coolant in and letting it out through this overflow outlet.

The first time I flushed the system it did look milky, but its ok now.

• 2 weeks later...

Had top end in bits, replaced all gaskets and cleaned all deposits. No loss of coolant now! :) thanks for all help and advice, very much appreciated!

Thats what we like to hear! Don't forget to torque up the heads after running her!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online