has any1 got any advice on an oil filter

karl 2012
This post is 4336 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i currently own a yamaha r6, any its due to be serviced, i was speaking to a mechanic a cuple of months ago and he told me that i should only use a genuine yamaha oil filter and i wanted to use a k&n oil filter. so can anybody tell me any truth in this or not, or any reasons why? thanks :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Karl, Would be nice if you did an intro before asking strangers questions but perhaps you would do that now? It's nice to know something about the person your talking to.

Anyway your question has loads of different answers unfortunately, some cheap filters are pretty useless either not the right material or worse still badly made, K&Ns are ok but they are expensive and to be honest just because you can wash them don't make it ok to keep shoving the same filter back in you engine even they fail after a while, Yamaha filters are made for your bike and you know they will do the job plus they are not that expensive to replace, so spend a few extra quid and fit what's intended if you want your bike to run properly and stay in reasonable order, it's a false economy to buy cheap and K&Ns are for those engines that get a right hammering on a regular basis, provided you change the oil and filters at each service your bike should be ok for years. Hope that helps? :jossun:

P.S. NOW do your intro please. :biglaugha:

I wouldnt clean an oil filter? Never have as i cant see why you would bother when they are so cheap to replace.

Im doing a service on my r6 at the moment, bought a K&N filter and its fine, was £10 delivered.

Maybe I'm a little late, but I always thought the best thing about the K&N filters was the nut on the top - saves having to use a horrible filter wrench :)

Other than that, they work perfectly fine on R1's, GSXR 600/750's and ZX6's, so I see no reason why they would be inferior. They're also lots cheaper if you're not opposed to eBay!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online