Waterproof switch for accessories

AndyBuk
This post is 4372 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Has anyone made a waterproof switch, housing etc for use on the handlebars?

Looking to knock something together as I have not been able to find any waterproof switches anywhere.

Looking to connect this onto an XVS 950 Midnight Star to control the Spotlights. I have all the other wiring sorted from fuse to relay to adequate wires.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Maplins, Maplins and Maplins.

Job done.

Or, if you prefer, harvest a waterproof switch from Hot Grips, a bike to bike radio PTT kit, another bike's control cluster, etc etc. There are a myriad options!

Cheers Ttask, i've been using Maplins so far, but having difficulty getting something to cover the pins at the back of the switch.

Was thinking of some kind of wee box, but also don't want it to look too stupid.

Think the PTT option may mean that the lights are only on whilst the button is being pressed.

Will follow up on some of your other suggestions.

Cheers.

The bit I don't get regarding these waterproof switches is that the pins and wires are exposed. This is the bit that I am currently trying to waterproof.

Recess the switch into a little waterproofed box.

Maplins do various sizes of 'project box' or there's a myriad different little things that would work just as well.

Make sure you seal the wires in and you're done.

I picked up a wee box from maplins, just need to cut the relevant hole and find a nice spot to locate it on the bike.

I also might need to get myself a better soldering iron, got a blue one from Maplin for about £10 but it seems pretty useless especially after I have been using it for a few weeks.