DT Autolube - does it suck?

flyday58
This post is 4384 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Took a break today from working on the RT3 restore and took the DT out for a spin. As you may recall, second to last ride out I had a heat seize due to running too lean. Went to larger jets and with a little tinkering got her running well again. Even got it to tickover like it should. Idles great now.

As I rode, keeping it under 45 mph/ 4500 rpm, it developed this sound that had me saying, "Now what?" When easing off the throttle it made a noise like loose paper flapping. Rolling on the sound disappeared but came back when easing. Almost sounded like the reeds were flapping, but power was good with no backfiring, indeed nothing strange but the noise.

After I got home, I got off and looked the engine over. I was gonna irde around the yard without my helmet to see if I could narrow the noise down. Well, I saw that there was air in the autolube line where before there was nothing but blue oil. Oh and a big thank-you to whoever posted about switching to the clear tubing for the autolube tubing, never woulda cuaght this. Maybe I'm not sposed to?... When I revved the motor, it looked for all the world like the oil was being sucked into the intake, leaving the air space I was seeing.

So, was the noise I heard caused by not having any cylinder lube, or too much? Has anyone else seen this? I got the tubing from Yamabits; the clamps that came with it require a special tool to install, and nothing I could do could coax them into position. Maybe I'm sucking air thru a teeny gap between the tubing and the carb port (that's where the air gap appears)?

Let me know what ustedés think. :eusa_think:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yo thinks the feed tube tucked in above the pump came off. That was actually my biggest fear on my bike because they were nearly impossible to get on and Yo didn't have wire to put on them, so Yo thought that was what happened on my flapping noise adventure yesterday. Next time Yo have it apart, Yo'll twist some light wire around it for peace of mind.

Yo don't know if you caught my post yesterday, but "when Yo started to hear a flapping sound from the cylinder" is my new my new cue to clutch in and kill it.

Three cheers for clear tubing though. :beerchug:

Hi FD 58

I don't think the oil pump sucks the oil through, when I rebuilt mine I had the impression that the oil was gravity fed from the tank to the pump and the two plungers in the pump opened and closed forcing the oil up to the inlet port,

I will try to PM you oil pump rebuild data,

same thing happened to me Richard, took a while to figure it out but eventually found the oil pump driveshaft seal had popped out of its seating. I put this down to the overheating issues I was having making the seal soft ? Fitted new seal, bigger jets bla blah blah...never been a problem since

Hi FD 58

I don't think the oil pump sucks the oil through, when I rebuilt mine I had the impression that the oil was gravity fed from the tank to the pump and the two plungers in the pump opened and closed forcing the oil up to the inlet port,

I will try to PM you oil pump rebuild data,

I'm hip, man, that's why I was miffed to see the oil appear to be being sucked into the intake...

same thing happened to me Richard, took a while to figure it out but eventually found the oil pump driveshaft seal had popped out of its seating. I put this down to the overheating issues I was having making the seal soft ? Fitted new seal, bigger jets bla blah blah...never been a problem since

Thanks OG, I will check this when I get home Friday. On the way to London tomorrow night. You, or anyone in the Langley/Slough/Windsor area? Would be great to sit down for a pint or two! Will be in town on the 14th, 26th, and 29th... :beerchug:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online