Yamaha xt 125 r 06 dirt in carburettor

samcrosswell
This post is 4389 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I am getting dirt in my carburettor which is causing the bike to run badly, and sometimes when I turn the bike off fuel poors out of the over flows until I tap the carburettor firmly and it stops. I took the carburettor apart and there were a few little bits of dirt which I cleaned out and presumed as the cause. Bike was fine for a few weeks but now is doing it again. In the Haynes manual it mentions a metal mesh fuel filter type thing but as the manual switches from model to model I am unsure if this is meant to be in my model or not. Does anyone know if there is meant to be a mesh fuel filter on my bike? Or could there be another cause for my problem?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Sam, Your fuel filter is usually inside the tank above the fuel tap, only way to get at it is to take the fuel tap off (usually 2 screws) and full it free, you will then usually see a tall mesh filter. As for your fuel pouring out it's probably a stuck float valve, these wear after a while and need to be replaced, they are a short plastic thing with a small metal cap that goes into a housing just above the float, sometimes there is a seal that it goes into and you should replace this as well, it could be that your float is actually leaking and to test this take it off and dunk it in to some warm water and see if you get bubbles if you do re[place this as well. You might also have crud in the tank, fuel isn't as clean as we would like so dirt and crud floats about until it settles and then gets sucked into the carb. You might also think about putting an inline filter between the tap and carb, most car shops have someting that will do the job but try to get ne that lets you unscrew it so you can clean it out on a regular basis. Hope some of this helps. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online