XVS 950 Double up on Indicator Wiring?

AndyBuk
This post is 4389 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Quick question...

I have added hard saddle bags to the bike which have built in LED indicators.

I had thought that I could wire them up to the original stock indicators.

In terms of electrical wiring... is this possible and or recommended?

Potential benefits:

Should be simple to wire up?

Don't need to tap in to any wires?

Potential Problems:

Will this them dim the brightness of the indicators if they are sharing the same circuit?

Could this overload the indicator relay?

Will this cause an increased draw of current through the existing wiring, and will this wiring be able to cope we increased load?

Any other potential problems?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Andrew, should not be a problem with overload & the wiring will be fine, to low an amperage for it to get hot or degrade, LEDs are just about the same as bulbs for power requirements and some even run better indicator relay will also be fine as LEDs usually draw less currant then bulbs. Hope that helps a bit. :jossun:

P.S when you say SADDLE BAGS do you in fact mean PANNIERS (fixed to a frame then fixed to the bike) rather than throw over soft bags that are put on and take off?

P.S when you say SADDLE BAGS do you in fact mean PANNIERS (fixed to a frame then fixed to the bike) rather than throw over soft bags that are put on and take off?

lol, yes I mean Panniers, you'd think I'd know that considering how much I've spent on the whole thing lol.

Just to clarify, I am keeping the stock indicators and adding the LED indicators in the panniers (as these are removable, wiring also will be removable via some kind of plug). So these indicators used together, shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks, for the response by the way, most helpful.

Hi Andy, Just a thought but would it not make sense to remove the original indicators? this would mean that you could just swap out the wires to your PANNIERS! and keep your indicators for when you sell the bike or remove the panniers. :jossun:

I had a similar problem with the SV, I made up a bracket and brought a set of indicator connectors. Just connected the 2 together. This can then plug into the loom at the indicator plug and means that you dont mess with the original wiring. When you want to take them off, just unplug them and plug the originals in. The SV still has the bracket on as I haven't been arsed to put the normal indicators back on. With built in LED's they should just bullet connect together although you may need a ballast resister in each to get the flash rate right.

Check out indicator connectors on ebay. LINKY Lots of different types. Just buy the type that suits your bike.

trip1.jpg

packed.png