starter motor quiz

jimmythemoonlight
This post is 4428 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm only trying to help you with a direction, it does sound ig related as i said i haven't had one of these to bits, but from what you have said its where i'd be looking.

I'm sure some of the Drag fans, er that sounds wrong, will be on to help.

hey there cynic , i hope that last post didnt read wrong, i am truly gratefull for any opinion....i have no clue myself and respectfully i doff my hat to you , i have just had a fiddle with it again...the bike that is and i am baffled as it is allmost as if the engine is running backwards the front cylinder pops away but it sounds like it is firing back into the engine and not blowing out of the outlet manifold/exhaust then the rear cylinder fires as if in the right direction and then all stops...so if i hang on the starter button and twist my throttle rigorously it repeats the same pattern ..sometimes the front piston will pop away as if it thinks it is running for a good 10-15 seconds, i have swapped the coil wires in all ways, and i have refered to the manuel and corrected them, still nothing , i have discovered a 3 wire connection that has no-where to go i am confident that this is a relic of an old alarm the evidense suggests that is has not been used for some time covered in green corrosion etc

Best option i think would be to kick off a new thread, go to town on the first post. In as much detail as you can let us know;

Has it ever run

Rebuilt?

Any replacement parts?

Battery

Ig system cond

Carbs set/cleaned

New fuel

Really go to town, proper epic call it something like Dragstar starting/running problems and let the help flood in. Infomation is the key here and as accurate waffle free descriptions of whats happening as possible.

There will be a lot of people that can help will think its just a starter issue and may skip past this thread. A new thread on the other hand.