Rear brake noise

Jealy
This post is 4447 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

Recently my YBR125 has started making a very loud & unsettling click/clunk noise when I apply the rear brake - it brakes fine but pretty much jolts the entire rear end!

Anyone know what could be causing this? :eusa_think:

Thanks in advanced!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Could be a couple of things, try making sure that the swing arm is not loose, also look at the brake shoe leading edge and make sure it is shamferd so as not to grab the leading edge of the shoe as you apply the brakes, blow out any dust build up (DON'T breath in the dust) check that the lever comes back to the correct position after applying the brake, if not then grease the pin that goes into the rear brake housing that actuates the shoe. That's about all I can think of for now someone else will think of some thing else. :jossun:

Oh also make sure that the wheel is not twisted out of true.

Thanks for the reply MRR, it was getting a bit too dark when I got home to have a look around (plus the engine was hot) - I'll have a look tomorrow and see what I can find.

If it has a drum rear brake make sure that the torque arm that connects to the backplate of the rear brake is tight as this is what stops the backplate turning when you apply the brake. There is usually a special bolt that goes through the backplate and torque arm and is secured by a nut with an R clip or split pin to stop it coming right out.

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up just taking the wheel clear off, giving everything a check over making sure it all looks clean (ish) and nothing is obstructing anything. Put everything back together and made sure it was all there.

Went for a ride and it was as smooth as its ever been!

Thanks again guys!

(Only just realised this should be in the Workshop! Oops, hopefully there won't be a next time but if there is I'll try remember to post in the correct section!)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online