2010 xj6n timeing cover

sups41
This post is 4452 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi can any one help ,

had a bit of a fall and put a couple of marks on the timeing cover looking to replace it ,is it hard work to do ,or just take the bolts out and replace the gasket and fit new cover , the bike is due a service next month not sure if its better to let the dealer do it when serviceing the bike .

thanks for any help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi can any one help ,

had a bit of a fall and put a couple of marks on the timeing cover looking to replace it ,is it hard work to do ,or just take the bolts out and replace the gasket and fit new cover , the bike is due a service next month not sure if its better to let the dealer do it when serviceing the bike .

thanks for any help

If you mean the generator cover (left-side as you are sat on the bike), then be aware the coil is attached to the back of the cover and will need to be carefully taken off and fitted to the new cover (carefully as it is enamel-coated copper cabling). You will also need to drain the oil (or at a push rest the bike at more than 45 degrees, on it's side (i have done this before)). You will also need a new gasket.

Either an 03-05 R6 or 05 on FZ6 cover and gasket should fit, as the XJ6 engine is a detuned 5SL engine, but i would advise you to compare schematic diagrams (personally i think it will fit 99%, but won't commit myself completely until i have to do it). This opens up the option of using an aftermarket R6 cover (around £30ish on ebay).