YBR front sprocket

Johnny Appleseed
This post is 4554 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On the Newbies' forum, I have been told that if I increase the size of the front sprocket on a 125i YBR it is unlikely to have any effect as the bike probably won't reach a high enough rpm - many thanks for that information.

Currently, the bike reaches about 8000rpm, which (according to "Gearing Commander") means a top speed of about 60mph. In reality although I have made it to the mid to high sixties (GPS), in general the bike runs at about 55 to 60mph. My problem is that at those speeds you become prey for vans or small lorries. I find that on dual carriageways, I find myself catching up with them, but as I attempt to overtake I am struggling to do so. I know there will be some back draft cause by them, but I am positive there are also some idiots who speed up on purpose.

So my question:

If I drop the front cog (and it may be significant that the only two sprockets available are a 14 and 13 teeth) to a 13T, could the bike reach a higher rpm, and thus a higher top speed even taking into account a change of the gear ratio?

many thanks

Johnny

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Although I dont doubt others will disagree, my experience on the Dragstar 125 did prove just that, went down a tooth on the front and just reached 75mph flat out. Standard sprocket (which I think is 15) 65 to 70, one tooth up no more than 65mph. Engine revs at those speeds will increase

But its not about flat out speed, going down a tooth will also make acceleration a little more lively. As I'm sure Taskmaster will say, planning/anticipation/decision making on smaller capacity bikes is an essential part of safe riding

Hi,

I changed the front sprocket on my YBR125 to 13 T last year. The positive effect was significant increase in the torque in 5-th gear - in my case (88 kg body mass, my self only ) this means successful slow acceleration even when the road goes a bit up hill. Negative effect - no more than 65 mph before reaching the red zone.

It is still not safe to overtake vehicles running with more than 45-50 mph. Just not quick enough acceleration to feel safe.

Georgi

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online