TRX 850. Any comments

Big Ross
This post is 6962 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm sort of pushing around the idea of buying one of these. I've been offered it at a pretty good price, and it looks as if it would meet my needs (commuting, interspersed with the occasional tour, one up)

Anybody got anything to say about this model, or experiences/advice to offer?

Would be grateful for some guidance.

Just remember, I'm not really interested in neck snapping acceleration or attempting the land speed record.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

TBH.....I don't know a whole lot about 'em, but I DO like what I've seen of 'em so far ;) .......Seems like they'd fit your requirements well Ross.

There's just something about the soul of a Big-Bore twin. B)

A mate of mine got rid of a Bandit 12 for a TRX. Apart from it being slower than the Bandit (obviously) he's well chuffed with it. Not ridden it meself yet!

I was after a TDM850, same engine as the TRX. All the ones I saw had gearbox faults. Jumping out of gear and clunky gearchanging. Be careful of the bargains as you might end up with a right shed !!

Apparently the TDM900 had the problems sorted but I don't know about the TRX.

Yup, I got one aswell, stonkin bike to ride, ain't the quickest thing out there, but so much fun it hurts!!!

Pretty active TRX group on Yahoo aswell, Honk and myself have been known to frequent it,

Useful mods are louder pipes, better brakes (r1/r6/ace) bolt straight on, USD forks from R1 are an easyish fit. Clean up the gearbox clunking (or did on mine) by using Silkolene Pro 4 oil. Huge improvement IMHO.

Cheap to insure.

Lots of hoots per pound.

stormy

Thanks very much folks. Your advice would have been very helpful if I hadn't made the classic error of waiting one day too long. He sold it to somebody else!

Forum members passing through Adelaide are welcome to form a queue and kick my stupid butt.

Thanks very much folks. Your advice would have been very helpful if I hadn't made the classic error of waiting one day too long.  He sold it to somebody else!

Forum members passing through Adelaide are welcome to form a queue and kick my stupid butt.

Not a problem, there's plenty in OZ just wait for the right one!

• Admin

My dads friend has one never stops going on about it to me! :angry:

Hes never said a bad thing about it, and i know its had quite a few track days. Unfortuatly cant ask him anything as im out of the country B)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sort of pushing around the idea of buying one of these.  I've been offered it at a pretty good price, and it looks as if it would meet my needs (commuting, interspersed with the occasional tour, one up)

Anybody got anything to say about this model, or experiences/advice to offer?

Would be grateful for some guidance.

Just remember, I'm not really interested in neck snapping acceleration or attempting the land speed record.

Hi

had my TRX for 4 yours now, and generally very happy with it (fairly rare in the UK too).

Expect anywhere between 40 and 65 mpg depending on how you ride, tyres are very subjective, but I can recoomend Avon Azaro or Dunlop D207RR for genarl hooning about, approx 5,000 miles life in a set.

Change the oil every 6 months or 4,000 miles and all should be ok - except I think I have a noisy cam-chain. The really expensive part of ownership is getting that 10-valve head sorted out when it is tappet/valve adjustment time, Yamaha quote once every 24,000 miles, mine needed sorting out at 14,000 miles and cost a fortune as all the valves need re-shimming!

Despote the above, it is a great bike, comfortable for up to 500 miles in day if you must, and great fun if you just want to blast thru the twisty bikes for an hour or even if you just want to go for a gentle ride - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RIDE A TRX at 10/10ths to enjoy it!

Not recommended to carry a pillion unless they are small (5 foot)!

Definately worth fitting better pipes, I have a set of Renegade cans and it sounds great, also fit a decent freeflowing air-filter and sort the carb as this will make the mid=-range stronger.

If you have to ride in traffic very often make sure that the throttle cable and also the chain are properly adjusted, otherwise at low speed it will be really snatchy.

Bottom line - excellent fun bike - go and get it and enjoy.

cheers

Chris

• 2 months later...

I bought a 1996 20k mile Blue TRX850 in Ayrshire, Scotland after a fairly good test ride in the dry on Sunday this week. Collected it on Monday in the rain and hated it, engine braking agressive if you back off on roundabouts; suspension seemed too soft. Even in dry on Wednesday the bike did not seem as surefooted as I wanted...(anybody knows what is coming next?).... yesterday changed all the suspension settings to standard and blew up the tyres (not used since Aug 04, only at 26 psi f/r).

Handling this morning was shit hot. :D. Moral of story, don't slag bike before checking settings. In my defence I had checked oil level.

Seems almost as good at handling as my TZR250 but with the extra power that you really need on the straights. Grins all round on the way to work (15 miles)

Bought it to replace my GPx750 which was too unreliable and wanted to travel at 135mpg everywhere (despite my protestations, officer!). Definitely slower but fast enough to make life interesting. The torque delivery is really interesting after high revving RD350F2, TDR250, TZR250 toys. Takes some time getting used to but more appropriate now I'm mature.

Buy one now!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online