Hard-core DT knowledge needed

ColinD
This post is 4508 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In my quest to build up the best possible lightweight adventure bike, a kick starter would have obvious advantages. The crankcase on my DT230 has a blanking plug where the kick starter would go, so it's keeping me awake at night wondering if a kick starter can actually be fitted.

Local Yammie shop says there is no parts listing for it. Fair enough, maybe it was never sold with one. But the DT200 and DT230 are rumoured to have the same bottom end and gearbox, and I believe the DT200 is a kicker. However, local Yammie dealer tells me the gasket on the brake side of the crankcase is a different part number for the two bikes, and that doesn't sound encouraging.

I'd look pretty stupid if I split the case and then discovered the parts don't fit. I may try to get hold of the respective gaskets and compare them to see if there's really any major differences.

Could anybody comment on whether it might be possible to have both kick and e-start on these bikes?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a dt125 bottom end on my bike and i know for a fact that a kick start can be retro fitted to it and that matter I think you should strip your bike and ship me the top end!!!!!!!! :lol: cause it will fit my bike with some mods

If the blanking is there id say you can fitt it.

Not many people have your bike in the uk. same cause i here there are mental

Use a translate addon like fox lingo for firefox and hit some of the south american and asian forums

well it sounds promising but would I have to give up the e-start, I wonder? yes, tons of "Lanza" bikes in Japan.

re your plan to fit a 230 top end on your 125 ... now that would lead to temptations. I'd be doing you a favour to avoid them :)

• 4 months later...

Hey mate, bit late replying to this post, just saw it sorry...if you're still in the market for a kick start set for the DT230 go here I've got a heap of parts from them, including Boyesen reeds and pro skills muffler which makes a huge difference to the bike. After you receive confirmation of your order you usually get within 5 days, brilliant service from them.

Also if you need any parts whatever you do don't go to a bike shop in Australia you're wasting your time, you need to go here and fill out the quote form. To do this you need a parts manual, if you don't have one I can email it to you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Robo

DSC02725.jpg