DT125R HELP?!! - Intermittent spark from plug. COIL, CDI ECU or another problem?!

Supermooser
This post is 4655 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike has started virtually first time for the last 6 months. The other day I started it and ran it for about ten minutes and it just cut out like there was suddenly no spark coming from the plug. I pushed the bike home and checked the spark was firing and it was not. It is a relatively new spark plug which has worked fine for the last month. I did try the old plug to see if this worked but it did not. I removed the seat and petrol tank to have a look at the wiring and could find no loose or disconnected wires. I left the bike for a couple of weeks before having a look again. Somehow, after doing nothing other than that that I have said I could see the plug was sparking again. I excitedly replaced the tank seat and seat to take it for a ride. After about 10 minutes running time and riding a 1/4 of a mile - exactly the same thing happened - it seemed like the plug just stopped firing. Once again I pushed the bike home. I am now thinking it is an ECU problem or a coil problem? Any ideas folks? I've checked eBay and I can get a coil for about £10, however the ECU is about $40+, otherwise I would just buy them both and hope this resolves the problem. Can anyone give me any advise on how to check the coil and ECU before getting a new one? - Or any advise on this problem??? :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My bike has started virtually first time for the last 6 months. The other day I started it and ran it for about ten minutes and it just cut out like there was suddenly no spark coming from the plug. I pushed the bike home and checked the spark was firing and it was not. It is a relatively new spark plug which has worked fine for the last month. I did try the old plug to see if this worked but it did not. I removed the seat and petrol tank to have a look at the wiring and could find no loose or disconnected wires. I left the bike for a couple of weeks before having a look again. Somehow, after doing nothing other than that that I have said I could see the plug was sparking again. I excitedly replaced the tank seat and seat to take it for a ride. After about 10 minutes running time and riding a 1/4 of a mile - exactly the same thing happened - it seemed like the plug just stopped firing. Once again I pushed the bike home. I am now thinking it is an ECU problem or a coil problem? Any ideas folks? I've checked eBay and I can get a coil for about £10, however the ECU is about $40+, otherwise I would just buy them both and hope this resolves the problem. Can anyone give me any advise on how to check the coil and ECU before getting a new one? - Or any advise on this problem??? :(

hi

i had the same sort of problem on a kawasaki 100 years ago,ended up being the coil breaking down,i would go down that route first as it is the cheapest and sounds just like the problem i had,

cheers

If a HT lead is the lead between the coil and plug cap then there's no movement at either side/firmly secured. The whole coil/lead/plug cap seem very solid and in good order. Is there any way to test a coil before buying a one? I've replaced so many unnecessary part son my bike it's frustrating and quite costly!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online