Dragstar spluttering

jimbo jones
This post is 4663 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all !

Was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some pointers on this issue.

I have a xvs 125 dragstar. Within about 10seconds of riding it splutters and jolts bad to a stop. Its fine running stationary in neutral.

I have taken the carb off and checked all the fuel feeds for blockages, the pump seems to be doing its job.. so i belive fuel is getting to the carb.

It feels likes its just about to run out of fuel (its not), thats why i checked the fuel system first.

I didnt take the carb apart (got scared), but only what I can see down through the centre it seems quite clean, but could there be a problem inside possibly? I am just speculating.

If anyone has any ideas please share, thank you in advance. :D

Jim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all !

Was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some pointers on this issue.

I have a xvs 125 dragstar. Within about 10seconds of riding it splutters and jolts bad to a stop. Its fine running stationary in neutral.

I have taken the carb off and checked all the fuel feeds for blockages, the pump seems to be doing its job.. so i belive fuel is getting to the carb.

It feels likes its just about to run out of fuel (its not), thats why i checked the fuel system first.

I didnt take the carb apart (got scared), but only what I can see down through the centre it seems quite clean, but could there be a problem inside possibly? I am just speculating.

If anyone has any ideas please share, thank you in advance. :D

Jim

Hey, there is a few very tight passages (jets etc) for fuel inside the carb which you wouldn't be able to see without stripping down.

I used to own a speedfight which would quite often take on water into the carb causing a blockage, it would start and tick over fine but would splutter and bog out/stall under acceleration.

Simply opening the float drain and draining the bowl would reveal some jelly (water in petrol).

Hey, there is a few very tight passages (jets etc) for fuel inside the carb which you wouldn't be able to see without stripping down.

I used to own a speedfight which would quite often take on water into the carb causing a blockage, it would start and tick over fine but would splutter and bog out/stall under acceleration.

Simply opening the float drain and draining the bowl would reveal some jelly (water in petrol).

Hi.

Ok will check it out.

It hasnt been in the rain much at all, but its defiantly worth a try cheers.

Hi,

I have tried draining the carb, not much came out. A few red specks in otherwise clear fuel. I am struggling to start it now, but it was like that before..temperamental. Checked a spark plug and its dry on the tip, does that mean I havent flooded the engine yet.

If this sounds like a definite carb problem i will take it apart if I know what to problems to look for ? Reading other blogs I have keep certain screws on a certain amount of turns.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Is the fuel tap on or off. If its on how much fuel is coming through the pump.

Yep. You'll have to take the carbs apart and blow out the jets. Also check the rubber o rings on the bottom of the carbs for wear and tear. Check the diaphrams for holes or breaks.

Its on and alot comes through when i start it, so assume the pumps ok....

Always start wuth the cheapest possible remedys first

New plugs

Check plugs are sparking

New air filter

Check the rubber y shaped inlet connector to the carbs, youll find it just underneath the tank. If its cracked or split, the bike wont run right.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online