Hi from a noobie

This post is 4663 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, i recently aquired a nice looking but not running fzr and thought oohhh project :) however im a total novice when it comes to bikes so i thought i'd pop along here and see if some helpful soul(s) would be able to assist with a smidge or two of advice and maybe a tip on where to get parts that dont cost the earth, thanks for reading

p.s. oh btw i'll see if i can put pics of the poor girl up(bike, not myself lol) if current membership status allows me to

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, i recently aquired a nice looking but not running fzr and thought oohhh project :) however im a total novice when it comes to bikes so i thought i'd pop along here and see if some helpful soul(s) would be able to assist with a smidge or two of advice and maybe a tip on where to get parts that dont cost the earth, thanks for reading

p.s. oh btw i'll see if i can put pics of the poor girl up(bike, not myself lol) if current membership status allows me to

Hi Emma, not too bad an intro, could be better.

Where are you from?

How old are you?

Interests?

Are you a learner?

We are here to help you, but, help us to help you.

Hi Emma, not too bad an intro, could be better.

Where are you from?

How old are you?

Interests?

Are you a learner?

We are here to help you, but, help us to help you.

I DON'T MEAN LIKE THIS

Only registering yesterday, I thought I'd come back and fill you all in on why I ended up here. Long story short (that's a lie, I tend to bang on all the time I'm afraid)

Turning 38 last week I decided to treat myself to an 86 DT 125 LC which is the bike I owned 20 years ago and what I passed my test on, something that I dare say most people on here can relate to. After looking on and off for about 18 months, I finally found a DT worthy of my pennies that wasn't a million miles away and hadn't seen the wrong side of the hedge a few times. Getting giddy on Ebay one night I put in a reasonable bid, had a can of Strongbow and then put in a higher bid and hey presto shes mine. Strongbow has a lot to do with the excess c##p in my loft nowadays!

Anyway, during my period of light headed giddiness, I never noticed that several things were missing from the DT hence why I took it on myself to kind of restore her to a bit of her former glory but obviously not concours as I am neither a wealthy man nor that handy with the spanners.

So long story short, I've registered as I dare say I'm going to need some help chaps and chapesses. I have more confidence than I did several months ago as my main bike developed a starter motor problem. Quote from Honda for £991 for the part and £65 per hour labour (mins 5 hours) encouraged me to have a ganders myself. A second hand part for £120, a haynes manual for £25 and about ten hours of my time and my pride and joy was back on the road so yes, I CAN DO THE DT!!!!

I need several parts to complete the old girl so if anyone has any of the following lying around I'd be extremely grateful for your help. Left hand switch gear, number plate bracket, rear brake spring and the cover for the front disc. A shyster on Ebay promised me the lot then sold them to someone else grrrr.

Obviously when I'm finished I'll have a few bits left over, they can go free to a good home, just pay me the postage.

I'm currently taking the tank down to bare metal and respraying in Ford Diamond White and Ford Radiant Red. I know they're not original but I'm colour blind and thats as close as I can get!!!!

If anyone wants to know anymore about me, my past bikes, hobbies etc, feel free to PM or email me direct at [email protected] I've not a lot to tell but I'll gladly share with anyone who will listen :)

Take care all

EFFING ELL!!!

haha yea fair enough, just updated the old profile bit as i didn't notice it before but as you asked nicely i'll do that bit here as well, im 25, from Southampton, have no bike licence to speak of as yet but have tried the cbt thing( long story short, plodding along nicely on the honda 125 i was given then crashed into a church wall then sign after a panic clutch dump, popped front tyre and couldn't continue.. failed the bloody test) erm what else...

Bike was aquired from a friend who left it in his garden for around 2 years, so ofc a bit of an issue getting the thing moving let alone started. apart from the battery being totally dead and sparks having given up the ghost as well it seemed ok, has been dropped a couple times and i may.. may have misplaced a fuel pipe somewhere while checking some bits under the tank. so really what im looking for after poss advice is a friendly like minded place where stupidity isn't always frowned upon and initial ignorance of somethings is deemed somewhat endearing rather than completely annoying

think that about covers it but if not more info is available on request :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online