Fuel Cap Assembley

Voxy
This post is 4670 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever taken apart their fuel cap assembley for their Dragstar? For a while now every time I go to fill up at the petrol station I have to wrestle with the fuel cap for it to come off. Additionally and more worrying is the gradual stress on the key becoming twisted and bent. I see the key lock turning from the outisde to the 3 o'clock position, but the locking mechanism underneath isn't moving failing to release the cap from the tank. Looking at the cap underneath I have noticed two screw heads to take it apart. How easy is it to reassemble with the spring inside etc.

Ben

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why not just give it a blast with some silicone lube spray? Or a proper graphite-based lock spray, just don't be tempted to use WD40, I've heard locksmiths cursing it's name when stripping locks down.

Why not just give it a blast with some silicone lube spray? Or a proper graphite-based lock spray, just don't be tempted to use WD40, I've heard locksmiths cursing it's name when stripping locks down.

Ok I'll try finding one of them. Good tip about the WD40 too (it was on my mind to use it!)

Thanks

Bloody right about Lockies hating WD40.

It basically causes MORE crap to stick in the lock and buggers the mechanism something chronic!!

Little spray cans (about 2.5" tall) can be had from Maplins for a couple of quid. You will need ONE SMALL spray inside the lock, work the lock mechanism for a bit, then give it ONE more QUICK spray. Have some paper towels to hand.

If you give it a big, heavy spray, you WILL be covered in yucky black shit... and I will laugh!! :lol:

Thanks guys for the advice! Just an update:

Whilst going out today to get a duplicate key cut from my original and mangled key I spotted some of that graphite lubricant in the shop and bought some. After starting to apply a small amount into the lock it then typically started to rain -hard! The weather is pants don't you think? It's July for F sake!?

It took me at least 10 minutes to get the cap off today - the longest time yet! So I'm glad I tried to fix this today at home than experience all this at the petrol station!! After finally getting the cap off I just had to take it apart as it was still playing up -even after all that play! It wasn't too complex inside, maybe fiddly re-assembling it; holding it straight to balance the springs in place. Having acheived all that; admittedly it didn't really get to the source of problem as the lock "chamber" is isolated and built into the top half of the cap. So after adding more graphite powder and lots more repititions of turning the key its better than it has ever been before!!

Once again thanks for your help guys!

So after adding more graphite powder and lots more repititions of turning the key its better than it has ever been before!!

Great stuff, innit!!!! :D