Yamaha MT-03

Will Munsey
This post is 4685 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I'm doing my test soon and thinking about what bike to get.

I like the look of the Yamaha MT-03, what I need to know is will this be ok for commuting?

And does it burn a lot of oil with it being a single cylinder?

Advice would be great! Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its a modern engine so its reliable and doesnt use alot of oil. Not sure how old you are or how long you have been riding on L plates but although one of the best looking bikes around it really doesnt have alot of power. I swapped mine for a Yamaha XJ6, it has alot of extra power, much better rev range and maybe a bit more comfortable seating position.

I went for the MT purely based on looks because it was my first bike and I thought " it sounds like it has plenty of power to me" and dont get me wrong. It has enough power to overtake, and to make progress but you quickly get bored especially if you find some other bikers to go out for rides with.

Between the MT and the XJ MT wins hands down in terms of sound, but that about the only place it wins. On paper the MT handles better but straight after your test you wont be pushing it far enough to notice a difference. The XJ is closer to the ground so depending on your height it will feel more comfortable. It weighs a little more but nothing that will worry a guy of average build.

When I was looking to change I tried a kawasaki ER6. Really wasnt as nice to look at as the XJ and didnt go as well with it being a V twin where as the XJ is a straight 4. Your other choice is a honda hornet, and I cant comment on this. The fact that you have picked the MT tells me you are prob looking for a stand out bike. The angular styling of the XJ certainly achieves this and when I have been out riding on sunny days and seen hundreds of bikes I dont see alot of XJ's which I like too!

Adam_Fozz

cheers for the reply mate. and rode motocross before I was 16 and since then I've had a moped and a 125. so been riding 4 years on the road on lil bikes lol.

Yea I started to look at the XJ but still torn between the two. Im only 20 so I will have to have the bike restricted to 33bhp so.... this is why I cant decide!

I would agree with Adam.

The MT looks fantastic but you just need that little bit more. You think you can live with it but you can't. If Yamaha had made the MT a V twin, it would be a great mix. The MT isn't cheap either so I would go XJ out of the two.

Unless you can aford to spend 6 months on the MT and then change to the XJ early next year.

...................It was like riding a giant vibrator..........................

Sorry for asking but how would you know that?