Need help with this vin number

OrlandoGarrett
This post is 4697 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

5k5-031920

Year? Model? Size?

Thank You!

Yamaha XJ550H ;)

Last month I bought a Yamaha Virago XV 535 in Thailand.

The Vin number is 2YL 128271 for both the frame and the engine.

The front brake hose has 12/93 stamped on it.

It also has an undated German sticker on it giving the same details and made in Japan.

The previous owner (an Italian diplomat here in Thailand) told me he bought it in Germany and it has been with him since new? but other than the owners handbook being in German I have no other paperwork.

He imported it and paid the tax on it during November 2008 and it was registered with a diplomatic numberplate and a legal registration logbook which is very important in Thailand. It allows you to register the bike and freely buy and sell it. Without the book you are at the mercy of the police and if the bike is not registered then even if you have insurance you may also have no rego plate or a "recycled" book.

Should you have an accident you may end up in jail and have to pay large sums of money to the victim/police/lawyers etc.

There are some beautiful 400 Virago's here but many have no book and if the cops stop you and take a liking to your "illegal" bike it may be taken to the police station to be "ransomed" or it may even get "lost" and you may see it around later with a cop riding it.

You can of course buy an imported bike or get one bought for you in parts and re-assembled in Thailand (the import duty on a bike is 250% of the value that customs put on it plus 7% vat)and to get it legal you must have all the paperwork and from a couple of years ago it also has to go to one of 2 testing centres in Thailand for exhaust emission checks to California standards. That will cost you another 1 to 2,000 GBP.

It is the same if you want to import your own bike that you have had for years except that they charge what they think is a price plus carriage, insurance and freight and THEN slap the 250% plus another 7% VAT on top.

Not sure if you were asking bill but I make that a 3BTV version

3BTV 2YL 0125101 0135999 XV535 1994

sounds a bit of a nightmare over there in Thailand :unsure:

That tallies with what the guy told me about the year but 3BTV doesn't show up in either the Haynes or Clymer manual as they only list UK and US models.

Actually if you are fully legal Thailand is a great place for motorcycling though most Thai drivers work on the bigger wheel theory.

If it has bigger wheels than me I will keep out of its way.

For motorcyclists you have to assume that every other driver on the road is a drunken homicidal maniac who cannot see you as you are invisible.

Dusk is the worst time to ride as people are going home from the fields, at least where I live and half have no lights or different coloured lights and the dogs take to lying in the roads presumably to keep warm or become mobile speed humps.

Cheers

Bill