Insurance, and garaging your bike.

NEV
This post is 4645 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thanks for the heads up, will have to amend mine. Its due for renewal on the 22nd so I'll make sure i sort that out. I never pay full price for anything. When i rang up and chnaged my license type over from CBT to Full, they didnt charge me. When i mentioned that i'll need pillion it suddenly meant a £35 admin fee. I told her where to go and she spoke to her manager. She came back with "Ok we can do £10 but thats the best". I said no thanks, ill make you a deal. If you waver this fee, ill come back next year, if you don't ill find someone who wants my money. she wavered the fee. I won't be going back to them! Tee Hee!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

To be honest, in this day of governing bodies, the majority of insurance companies would not wriggle out of a claim for the sake of 100 miles. Those clauses and the like are there again to prevent the pi55 takers from abusing the system. 100 miles over? Who cares but 1000 miles, c'mon. One is a slight mishap when you might have kept going becuase it's a nice day and you kept on riding whereas the other is clearly tick every box that will give you a discount and takes your chances.

Same with the garaging discount. 99% of companies appreciate that the fact that our bikes are not garaged 24 hours a day (apart from NEVs restored DTR, that thing's just too nice to leave the house :) ) so rather than simply saying tough titty, you're not covered, they simply place a higher fire and theft excess on your policy should an incident occur during the hours of such and such.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for the parasites that we know as insurers. It was their treatment of the general public that got me out of the game but I know from experience, the reliable ones won't stick it to you "that" bad.

I remember asking one insurance company about going over the mileage and that one said 1,000 miles is ok, but 2,000 or more would be too much. BUT MCE are the only company to ask me the exact milage of my bike at time of insuring...

My 1300 policy with Swinton says my bike must be garaged between 10pm and 6am. If it's not garaged between those hours and gets nicked then I have to pay an extra £250 on top of the compulsory excess... they seem more concerned with the bike being nicked when the key is in the ignition.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online