engine oil

TheReverend
This post is 4724 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi ya'll do i have to use a specific motorcycle engine oil or can i use car engine oil i know this sounds a bit of a daft question but ive heard you can n you cant ??? please confirm one or the other thanks' Rev

ok just gone n looked it up n nearly everyone says NO so thats cleared that up

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi ya'll do i have to use a specific motorcycle engine oil or can i use car engine oil i know this sounds a bit of a daft question but ive heard you can n you cant ??? please confirm one or the other thanks' Rev

ok just gone n looked it up n nearly everyone says NO so thats cleared that up

Have a butchers here Rev, I know it says cars, but put your reg number in , it will still find reccomended oil for your bike

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829

Or try here with bike model search

http://www.castrolmoto.com/en/oil_selector.php

Hope this helps

Its a long running debate, the crux of which is. Car engine oil will be fine for a motorcycle engine. Car engine oils are not designed with any nod to clutch opperation or shear force (which ocurs in the gearbox) just compression as found in car bearings and piston clearance etc.

The choice is up to you many people have their own opinions. Personally i will never save the cost of a motor with cheap oil, and before i sold her my old 600 had 30+thousand miles and needed 2 shims on the last valve check i did. Original clutch the lot. Rock synthesis 4 every 4-5k

Since then the new owner has used car stuff (shudder :icon_cry: ), its his bike now (another shudder :cry2: ) and needed a clutch and 4 shims (thats twice what i needed in 30K) 5000mile later. The clutch plates were in spec on thickness it was just the deturgent and "patented fricton reducers" that shagged the plates. And he rides like a wuss compared to when she was mine. I can easily outrun him on the 250. "I don't realy go over 7k, gets a bit hectic then" :bag:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online