wheel bearing

paul g
This post is 4717 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can any one help I have a problem with one of the rear wheel bearings.

I was changing the bearing and when i tried to tap out the bearing it collapsed leaving the outer bearing casing still in the wheel hub. Its the single bearing side and i can not get anything in there to tap the bearing casing out from the other side as there does not appear to be any way of getting to it. Has any one ever had this problem and how did you get it out?

cheers

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thats a tough one Paul! how did you manage to break it?

The bearing was in such a bad state when i checked it it was almost collapsed. when i tried to knock it out it fell apart and left the outer casing in situe. i was wondering if it tried to break it out with a chisel would that work ?

Paul

definitely not, if the blows are in the opposite direction required to remove it, I had a quick google and it seems to me jou need to have a substantial washer welded at 120 degree intervals to the outer race, a hole in the middle and use a slide hammer to knock it out, go easy on the weld as you dont want lots of heat. Consider how you will fix the slide hammer berore any welding...I'm open to other offers if anyone cares to add them.

I assume you cannot hit it at all in the required direction?

definitely not, if the blows are in the opposite direction required to remove it, I had a quick google and it seems to me jou need to have a substantial washer welded at 120 degree intervals to the outer race, a hole in the middle and use a slide hammer to knock it out, go easy on the weld as you dont want lots of heat. Consider how you will fix the slide hammer berore any welding...I'm open to other offers if anyone cares to add them.

hmm, rawlbolt? and I mean rawlbolt not rawlplug, 16mm ish? try plenty of release oil, coca cola or what ever your preferance is making for releasing things, gentle heat, freeze spray straight after onto the bearing race, and some sort of thin drift that may go through the washer OG mentioned, hitting the rawlbolt and not the bearing race, my ten penneth anyroad

no i can not hit ay part of it in the required direction . I like the idea your putting and this would work . I have a welder so i could do this myself.

Best Regards

Paul

If its a bloody arc welder take precautions with spatter eh?

Rawlbolt's are great for removing intact bearings, gives something to hit from the other side especially when the obligatory spacers make it nigh on impossible.

yes it is an arc welder and i know it need care to weld this washer on but its worth a go theres not too many other options on this one

Other option is sort the washer and take it to your local fab shop for tig welding, I dont much like arc in these situations. I expect only a few tacks will do it eh? whatever you decide let us know the outcome.

Other option is sort the washer and take it to your local fab shop for tig welding, I dont much like arc in these situations. I expect only a few tacks will do it eh? whatever you decide let us know the outcome.

cheers, i will keep you posted uve been a great help

1.5 mm mildtrode, 25 amps if plant goes down to that, bit of a broken arc, shimples. <_<

Hi could you not try warming the hub with hot air gun, like I have been doing with the bearings on my engine rebuild ?seems a lot safer and last week I had a bloody stuck one, that after a few mins of heat dropped out onto the floor got to be worth a try.

best of luck

Phil :rolleyes:

Hi could you not try warming the hub with hot air gun, like I have been doing with the bearings on my engine rebuild ?seems a lot safer and last week I had a bloody stuck one, that after a few mins of heat dropped out onto the floor got to be worth a try.

best of luck

Phil :rolleyes:

If it worked for you Phil yes that would be best first option, totally non destructive

Heat gun and heat the hub would be my first stop, do not heat the race, next option maybe too get a small grinding wheel on a dremel and carefully try and cut a section out of it

Heat gun and heat the hub would be my first stop, do not heat the race, next option maybe too get a small grinding wheel on a dremel and carefully try and cut a section out of it

Used the dremel method on an outer race which was stuck in the wheel once, worked a treat! However, be extremely careful with the grinding wheel. Cut a little bit at a time, checking as you go. I made two cuts into the race 180 degrees apart & was able to lever/tap out the two halves (as it were).

ok update , job sorted was a bitch though. i tried the dremel first but the stones just wore away real quick so had little impact . Then i got the arc welder on it and welded 4 spots on it high enough to get a large drill bit on the spots to hit them with a hammer. What surprised me was that the bearing race cracked and broke when i hit the arc spots and the rest of the bearing came out easy enough. I then cleaned it up and put the new bearings in. A bit unauthodox but it worked for me.

ok update , job sorted was a bitch though. i tried the dremel first but the stones just wore away real quick so had little impact . Then i got the arc welder on it and welded 4 spots on it high enough to get a large drill bit on the spots to hit them with a hammer. What surprised me was that the bearing race cracked and broke when i hit the arc spots and the rest of the bearing came out easy enough. I then cleaned it up and put the new bearings in. A bit unauthodox but it worked for me.

Good one Paul. Thanks for the update :thumb:

Good that you got it out but using a drill bit as a drift rings alarm bells they tend to splinter and shatter flying everywhere

Please get yourself a proper drift or even a old bolt to hit with a hammer

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online