Stopping rust

fuff66uk
This post is 4730 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right guys,i keep my project bike in my concrete sectional garage,the problem is it's that damp all my chrome is rusting and due to a health condition this is going to be a long term restoration as i sometimes am not fit enough to do anything to it for weeks on end.So my question is what is the best way to keep rust at bay ? WD40 didn't seem to help much so i thought maybe you guys could suggest something. :icon_sad:

Thanks

Al

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Getting good ventilation in the garage will help a lot, find a side on the garage that gets the prevailing wind and put closable vents (you dont want the draft while your in there working) in that side and at the opposite side of the garage too, buy this stuff-its 100 times better than WD40 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACF-50-ACF50-ANTI-CORROSION-PROTECTION-SPRAY-MOTORCYCLE-/130445771290?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e5f2c821a, and drape an old wool blanket over the bike too, above all try to keep up with polishing the chrome, if those tiny rust pores turn into blisters then its game over B)

HTH

My local bike shop sells that stuff,is it good then ?

well worth the extra cost :)

My local bike shop sells that stuff,is it good then ?

Brilliant stuff ffuf, only found ACF-50 myself a couple of months ago, not only protects but brings up vinyls, and switch gear, looking like new.

Sounds awesome stuff Nev,i see you are a fellow Rams fan :thumb:

Oh aye, born in Rutland street, about 200 yards from old BBG. Mind you I notice you're at the wrong end of the Trent.

I am now but i'm a Derby lad born an bred,an you know what they say ''you can take the lad out of derby but you will never take derby out of the lad''

A lot of people swear by AFC-50.

I prefer GT 85. and it smells nice too. LINKY

I tend to use GT 85 for lubing and coating and plusgas for freeing up. WD40 is for getting off tar, stickers and marker pen.

AFC-50 tends to attract muck so, whilst it does coat and protect, it leaves everything with a coat of muck and you will spend a long time cleaning it off. Especially if you ride during the winter.

If you are also looking for a great bike cleaner, look at S100. It is the bogs danglies! LINKY. Their chain cleaner is great too!

Not used Bergom but it gets high praises from those that do, it might have carnabau wax in it to seal a surface, but the problem you have is the 'dew point' in your garage which allows moisture to creep under any kind of seal, have heard of some old timers putting a 60w lightbulb in a biscuit tin under their pride and joy to keep them warm (its the cold metal that causes dew to form)-but then you run the risk of a fire :o -so I've not tried the lightbulb trick, just plenty or circulated air is the best you can do m8, and best of luck with your health and the re-build ;)

............have heard of some old timers putting a 60w lightbulb in a biscuit tin .......................

I prefer a Rich tea or a nice Garibaldi ;)

:lol: nothing beats bourbon creams or Tunnocks caramel wafers ;)

Garibaldi are for old people

I was going to get a dehumidifier to leave running in there but my mate has one and it costs him a fortune in electric to run the bloody thing

A dehumidifier wont work, it will suck in air basicaly from Earths atmosphere and turn it into water-these things need to be in a hermeticaly sealed environment-a daft m8 of mine has one and grins when he gets to empty 2 gallons of water out of it-eejit ! :huh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online