YZF-R125 rear brake problem?

kev_bain
This post is 4702 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've had new pads for the rear sitting there for a while, and as i had the day off work i got round to changing them today. I had a pretty decent idea of what i was doing but i consulted a mate who had previously done his before. The pads came out fine and the new ones went in, but now i dont seem to have a rear brake pedal. Im putting my right foot to the floor and the brkaes simply arent working.

Has anyone done this before and can maybe think of an important thing i might have missed out on my first time?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

Is this hydraulic operated disk brake? If yes, it may need some bleeding in case you have accidentally let some air in.

If it is mechanical hardlinked brake, try to find the adjustment nut (or screw, or what ever adjustment mechanism)and adjust the brake.

Good luck.

Georgi

Usually when you fit new pads you need to push the pistons back into the caliper a little due to the new pads not being worn. This said, it is surprising that the new pads fitted easily.

It does sound like a fluid issue. You will need to bleed the brake to get any air out and get the pads close to the disk. not too hard to do mut you will need a bleed hose (a plastic pipe), a container for the old fluid, a spanner for the bleed nipple and some brake fluid. You may need a screwdriver if the rear brake fluid reservoir has a cap that has a screw down fitting.

Be careful not to put too much pressure on the bleed nipple as they can shear off and make sure you have the correct brake fluid (DOT rating).

Loosen the nipple, fit the bleed hose, open the fluid reservoir, fill with fluid, open the nipple, push down the brake pedal and tighten the nipple with the pedal still down. Do this a few times keeping an eye on the fluid reservoir and topping up when necessary. The brake should start to get some bite and when it does give the pedal a couple of pumps with the nipple closed. Tighten the nipple up properly, check the reservoir is full to the top line and replace the reservoir cap. Test the brake. If is is fine then the brakes are done and you then need to check that the brake light switch is turning on at the correctly and adjust is necessarily.

Usually when you fit new pads you need to push the pistons back into the caliper a little due to the new pads not being worn. This said, it is surprising that the new pads fitted easily.

It does sound like a fluid issue. You will need to bleed the brake to get any air out and get the pads close to the disk. not too hard to do mut you will need a bleed hose (a plastic pipe), a container for the old fluid, a spanner for the bleed nipple and some brake fluid. You may need a screwdriver if the rear brake fluid reservoir has a cap that has a screw down fitting.

Be careful not to put too much pressure on the bleed nipple as they can shear off and make sure you have the correct brake fluid (DOT rating).

Loosen the nipple, fit the bleed hose, open the fluid reservoir, fill with fluid, open the nipple, push down the brake pedal and tighten the nipple with the pedal still down. Do this a few times keeping an eye on the fluid reservoir and topping up when necessary. The brake should start to get some bite and when it does give the pedal a couple of pumps with the nipple closed. Tighten the nipple up properly, check the reservoir is full to the top line and replace the reservoir cap. Test the brake. If is is fine then the brakes are done and you then need to check that the brake light switch is turning on at the correctly and adjust is necessarily.

I had an inclination that i may have to bleed the brakes but just wanted a second opinion. The new pads went in easy because i pushed the pistons in, then after that i pumped the brake to get the pistons tight on the pads again but when i took it a test run down the drive way there was far too much give on the brake pedal and not alot of stopping going on.

If I change the brakes for the first time on an unknown bike I always change the brake fluid. After that I tend to just bleed them.

Aye,, ya have ta bleed the brake !

Like Dirty is sayin !

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online