Problem with my Landlord......Has anyone had experience?

JohnR6
This post is 7095 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I've been having some problems from the letting agency, in which I rent my flat from. Basically, they sent me a letter through yesterday saying that they're going to send someone round to my flat tomorrow at 11.40am for a routine inspection. I have no problem with that but I'm at work tomorrow so I called them up this morning to ask if they can re-schedule for a time when me or the Mrs is in.........you know what they told me...........they said no they can't and give me some bullshit how it'll desrupt there schedules (Fucking Lazy Bastards! I pay good money for my rent, and they expect me to take time off from my work to let some dick head in!!). They then said that they'll just let themselve in then!!! I was like WTF no way!!! He said I was Nieve and arkward about the situation (Me letting a totally stanger come into my flat and let them do what ever they want.....nieve, arkward........I don't think so pal!). I said to the guy that they can't get in anyways cos' they don't know the Alarm code.......so he demanding the code, I said "NO" and then he said that if I don't give him the code, he'll just have to bring an alarm expert round with him and reset the code and charge me for it!!! WHAT A WANKER!!! I was at boiling point then, so what ever he said I just said no and totally denied them of any permission to come into my flat without anyone being there. At the end he said that he'll send the guy round on Monday at 4pm take it or leave it! So I agreed but I don't know why I should make time for Dicks like him when I'm doing them a favour!!!

I was so pissed off all day so I call my local Citizens Advise Bureau (CAB) to see where I stand legally. CAB told me that the agency who's acting as my Landlord is not allowed to come into my rented flat if it's NOT an emergency repair. For them to come in, they need to give at least 24 hours notice (which they have) and my PERMISSION (Which I denied)! I told them they can't come in and they THREATENED that they'll do so anyways.....that's counted as TRESPASS.

This is what it says on the CAB website:

Your landlord has a right to reasonable access to carry out repairs. What ‘reasonable access’ means depends on why your landlord needs to get access. For example, in an emergency, your landlord is entitled to immediate access to carry out any necessary work.

Your landlord also has a right to enter the property to inspect the state of repair to empty a fuel slot meter, but they should always ask for your permission and should give you at least 24 hours notice.

Your landlord does not have a right to enter in any other circumstances unless they have a court order.

I've now printed out all this legal stuff and if the guys gives me any shit on Monday, I'm just going to give it to them. The CAB also said to contact them if they continue to cause grief and they get a solicitor for me.

Has anyone had simular problems with Landlords like I have? I'm so pissed man! :twisted: Also do you think I sould tell my actual LandLord about the situation cost I don't thing she know what a bunch of twats her letting agency are!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm reading that letter they sent though again, and I remember the guy on the phone saying that they can legally come in because they've given me 24 hour notice.......and he said that he can get legal people onto me etc trying the threaten me and all. Anyway, looking at the letter it's really CRAFTY what they have done, for them to come into my flat, they need 1) PERMISSION from me and 2) 24 hour notice. With them sending the letter and me receiving it, they've already sort of fulfilled the criteria so unless I tell them that they can't come in, I think they think that that permission is granted because I've acknowledged the letter and hadn't said "no"!!! Crafty little bastards!!

Cliify and I rented alot before we eventually gave up and bought. We had no end of problems with the properties that were through agencies.

For instance there was the time that we had to pay £90 so theywould "credit check" the property for us, it came back "clear so no need to worry". 6 months later a we came home to find our flat had been cleared out by a baliff!! Ended up having to go to court to prove we weren't who they were after and it took another 6 months to get our stuff back half of which had been damaged!

And them there was the "poltergise" stuff would be moved/ missing/ dirty cups in the sink/ our food eaten turned out to be one of the agencies staff having his lunch there!

The real bastard was the landlord who needed some money so he set our block of flats on fire to claim on the insurance! That was nasty the whole place was gutted and one of our neighbours was badly hurt.

I've had plenty of arguements with agencies about them wanting to check when we weren't there. I never let them get away with it though!

Problem with my Landlord......Has anyone had experience?

No...I've never even met him John!  :lol:

Ahh, but do you definately know that for a fact ?

He could have been that slag that short changed you for the Polos and can of coke last year ?

:lol:

speaking for the other side........

check your contract. i bet theres a clause in there where you agree to 24hours notice for six monthly inspections. its standard form for an Assured Short Hold Tennancy.

you've already agreed to let them in, by signing the contract. if you refuse you are in breach of your tennancy and face possible eviction.

i agree that agents are a pain in the arse, even being a landlord, finding a good one is harder than finding a good tennant!

ive had just as much grief from my agents as i have from my tennants. when one of my tennants recently defaulted on the rent, by about £200 a month, over several months, they didnt tell me, instead they tookit out of his bond!! when the tennant left, there was nothing left in the bond to pay for the damage and cleaning :evil:

Yes, you are correct about the agreement to 24hours notice for six monthly inspections which is fine but by Law they still need permission from the tennants. It's not that I'm not letting them in, I just don't want them to go in when no one is in the flat, and if they insist in coming into the flat when no one is in, then it's a bit suspicious and is counted as trespass which becomes criminal offence. I'm sure if I was in court, I have a pretty strong case. :wink:

Those guys working for the property management agency are just a bunch of Cowboys and basically they just don't want to make time for the tennants, it's either their way or no way......and because I confronted them, they just didn't like it and called me nieve and arkward! :evil:

well if its in your contract and you continue to refuse then you put yourself in breach, and they could serve you with notice and start proceedings to evict you if you dont leave.

not saying that they will, but they can. its no use being in the right if it means you are out on your ear!

and arguing over it in court is a bit difficult without a roof over your head!

im not saying you are wrong, just that as you have signed that contract you have to be careful, it isnt as black and white as your C.A.B has suggested.

they are being unreasonable though...........

Yes, they are being very unreasonable, that's why I got so angry and took advice from CAB. There attitude stinks and they're very aggressive and very pushy.

Basically, When I rang them, I just wanted to ask them if they can reschedule to a later time on the same day like any time between 4-5.30pm and they said no cos' apparently, I live on the other side of town to where their office is and it takes them ages to get back! That's Bull cos' I play football near where their office is and it only takes me 10 minutes. They're just a bunch of LAZY arse holes who don't give a shit. (Please excuse my language) They are very unprofessional and I just can't be dealing with people like that.

I think they know that by law, they need permission to come in but they just didn't want to mention it to me (as I was unaware of it at the time) and tried to bully their way through. I just thought it was totally wrong and cheeky of the guy to DEMAND my alarm code and called me nieve cos' they're just going to pop in and out and not touch anything! I think I would be nieve if I did let them in without me being there. They said to me "Come on, what's your problem, it'll only take 5 minutes.....we'll just be in and out". I then said if it only takes 5 minutes then why don't you just come between 4-5.30pm!! He had nothing to say then and he eventually re-scheduled for next Monday 4pm. What a Tossa! :evil:

The more I talk about this, the more pissed off I get.......so I'm just going to leave it now and just wait for the guy to inspect the flat on Monday and forget about it.

But just put my situation in your shoes; basically, this guy (a total stranger), says he's coming round to look around your house/flat and if you're not going to be there, he's just going to let himself in and so you better give him your alarm code........morally and by law that is not right!

So what if I was on holiday, were they going to come in, have my alarm resetted, look around and take off..........Hmmmmm........I'm sure that's what burglars do and that's called trespassing/breaking (i.e breaking the alarm) and entering.

Sorry if I've seemed abit agressive with these posts for the pass day or two......but I hope you'll all understand how much grief these cowboys at the agency is causing me. :cry:

PEACE OUT. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

I have recently had to prepare an internal layout survey of 7 flats in Buxton. The owner arranged with the tenants for me to carry out my work as long as I had a representative from the landlord with me. I dont want to be alone in someone elses home anyway without a witness and to give me access... keys etc..

The work was going to take me approx 3 days so I worked Thursday and Friday with a return visit on Monday, one of the tenants refused to give me access on the Monday which rather p*ssed me off because that meant a 5-6 hour return trip and an additional 260 miles of travel. I was not pleased to say the least.

BTW if you sue someone for trespass the court will only award you the cost of the damage caused... i.e. no damage.. no compensation. The sign Trespassers will be Prosecuted is a load of shite... Trespass is a civil offence and prosecution is a criminal action.

Roy