Whistling, grinding noise from the engine

Vadkutya
This post is 4791 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everybody,

I didn't really wanted to start a new topic, but even running a search, I couldn't find a decent answer to my question...

I was wondering if anybody else has a strange noise coming from the engine or not. It is a constant "whistling-grinding" noise and I couldn't identify any corelation to speed, revs or anything else. It starts as I start the bike and continues even when is already warmed in and have some miles behind me. Any ideas where this could come from? Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

.............I was wondering if anybody else has a strange noise coming from the engine or not. It is a constant "whistling-grinding" noise and I couldn't identify any corelation to speed, revs or anything else. It starts as I start the bike and continues even when is already warmed in and have some miles behind me. Any ideas where this could come from? Thanks!

So not affected by speed, revs or hot/cold..................................Is it hunger tummy rumbles?

On a serious note get it to a garage as it does sound pretty expensive bad.

I've had strange whistling noises and stuff only to find out it was coming from my helmet :rolleyes:

check that and your drive chain for dryness (ie not oiled)

could be absolutely anything!

from a leaky air filter, to the cam chain!

best thing to do would be to try and locate an area where its coming from , like for example in the front cylinder on the left hand side.....(would result in ur cam chain being loose)

or if its coming from under the tank in between the cylinders/heads .......(would be carb joint has a leak)

ect ect...

and also does it only do it when riding? or is it doing it stood still?

either way it dont sond good and definatly something to get looked at.

How long have you had the bike, and how long has it been whining ?

Hi Guys,

Thanks all to your quick replies. As you mentioned, it could be anything. I've had a look at the workshop manual... and really... there are quite a few things that could be wrong with it. I'll try to record the sound that it makes tomorrow and post it here... hope I manage to do it properly as the exhaust sound pretty good when idling :)

So...

First, specifications of the bike: 2004 XVS 125 Dragstar, 5200 miles, 3 previous owners. I have the bike since 4th March. I've been riding it almost every day, but noticed this strange sound just lately. First I thought it lacks of oil, but the oil level is normal, within limits. The sound it makes is almost like something runs dry, doesn't get enough oil or something.

drewpy: chain is in very good condition, and it produces this noise even when it's standing still right from the start

paulwhite: it is really hard to tell where is the noise coming from. First I thought it's coming from the left hand side of the front cylinder, but after moving to the other side of the bike I heard it coming from the engine compartment under the cylinders.

dirtydt: if it's your ex... I get her out of there and post it to you in case you have any claims on her :)

barkwindjammer: answer above :)

I am sooo worried about it now, I don't want to ride it in this condition, not to make more damage to her.

Every help is appreciated! Thanks! :)

Hi Guys,

paulwhite: it is really hard to tell where is the noise coming from. First I thought it's coming from the left hand side of the front cylinder, but after moving to the other side of the bike I heard it coming from the engine compartment under the cylinders.

if its on the right hand side in the crank case....it could either be the oil pump or a bearing... either is not good, but then again i cant give an accurate answer without seeing the bike for myself <_<:rolleyes:

hope its not serious for you m8

good luck

So...

I went in today to my local cruiser shop/workshop and asked them about the noises I hear from the engine. Answer... everything is ok :) The guy told me (I think his name is Phil), that these V-twin engines are really noisy in the first place and this is just normal. He asked me about the last time when the oil was changed (cca. 1k miles ago), but he assured me that all the noises I hear are normal, there is nothing wrong with the bike.

If anybody is in need of quality bike accessories, I can't recommend them enough: Metric Cruisers, Bournemouth. I've actually came out with a replacement handle bar to start my customization works :)

I'll keep you posted of my progress, eventually with some good photos!

Good ride everybody!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online