God Awful Noise...

bobbernation
This post is 4810 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay,

I looked for a topic with an answer before posting this thread...couldn't find one.

So when i turn the key to engage the starter on my 81 xs400, sometimes the motor turns over fine.

But sometimes there is a god awful sound coming from the cases area. Kinda sounds like the chain is being slung all over the inside(just a description). Then when I stop and try again, the motor turns over fine. Does this sound like a problem with the starter, starter clutch, or something else I'm missing?

Bobb

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Okay,

I looked for a topic with an answer before posting this thread...couldn't find one.

So when i turn the key to engage the starter on my 81 xs400, sometimes the motor turns over fine.

But sometimes there is a god awful sound coming from the cases area. Kinda sounds like the chain is being slung all over the inside(just a description). Then when I stop and try again, the motor turns over fine. Does this sound like a problem with the starter, starter clutch, or something else I'm missing?

Bobb

usually the starter clutch, first check the starter motor is securly fastened.

replacing the starter clutch is a PITA