650 Dragstar screens..........any use at all?

Leatherat
This post is 4632 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm posting from New Zealand. First time on this forum. I have just joined the cruiser ranks with a 650 Dragstar. It was purchased in Cheshire 2005, then emigrated out here with the original buyer. 12000miles and in pristine condition.

It has a windshield, Yamaha saddle bags, all fitted back in England. I am using the bike most nights to commute to work. I dont like the appearance of the shield but at night ( fog, rain) it lets me ride with the visor partly open. It allows a lot of engine/ transmission noise to rise up behind the screen. More wind noise than without the screen in place. It looks like the one pictured above, but has different mountings. Have tried to show my mounting brackets in the pics. ( sorry, cant upload my pics)

A couple of questions for those more familiar with the bike model. Does your transmission seem to be quite noisey? Mine rumbles away, I dont think anything is wrong, just different from my previous bike.

Has anyone tried to improve the exhaust note? without making it too loud.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Mines noisey from pretty much everywhere except the exhausts. Whiney, rattley and grindey to a greater or lesser extent, I've had it checked out and everythings fine, but you're quite right about the screen increasing the engine noise, but it makes the bike so much more rideable.

Various aftermarket exhausts are available, but they're all pretty pricey, there is a drilling technique that makes the stock cans more noisey, you'll find several how to videos on You Tube if you care to look. I haven't gone down this route as I don't want to ruin my exhausts just to find that A. it sounds Shite and B. the MOT man isn't happy and it costs me more than a custom set to replace the originals.

Mines noisey from pretty much everywhere except the exhausts. Whiney, rattley and grindey to a greater or lesser extent, I've had it checked out and everythings fine, but you're quite right about the screen increasing the engine noise, but it makes the bike so much more rideable.

Various aftermarket exhausts are available, but they're all pretty pricey, there is a drilling technique that makes the stock cans more noisey, you'll find several how to videos on You Tube if you care to look. I haven't gone down this route as I don't want to ruin my exhausts just to find that A. it sounds Shite and B. the MOT man isn't happy and it costs me more than a custom set to replace the originals.

I have seen heaps of drilled out exhaust end plates on U tube. Whether it is the recording quality or just not much of a better sound, I'm not sure. But like you I dont want to end up with a shit sound and having to replace expensive mufflers.

There was one dragstar on u tube that had aftermarket mufflers fitted. Gee, it sounded lovely. A deep growl that stood out from all the "put put" exhausts. Do you think I can find that video again??

There was one dragstar on u tube that had aftermarket mufflers fitted. Gee, it sounded lovely. A deep growl that stood out from all the "put put" exhausts. Do you think I can find that video again??

Was it a 650 Classic, heavily painted up with lots of blue artwork?

If so, the bike is called Elvira and was the ride of choice for Goff here. The exhausts are Geminis and quite popular among members. Even I have a set, now ;)

The exhausts are Geminis and quite popular among members. Even I have a set, now ;)

I have been trying to PM you about this very topic......These Gemini exhausts, are those the Italian ones on ebay for £210.00? Have you fitted them, what do you think?

They look a bit on the skinny side in the photo on ebay (when you compare them to the Highway Hawks.

I have no new PMs in my Inbox.

Yes, they are the Italian ones on eBay for £210. I went for the straight ones.

Yes, I have fitted them. I think they sound very growly under revs, but with an appreciated, relatively quiet idle. Re-jetting is required, else your fuel consumption goes down along with your power and top end speed.

Take the baffles out and you will go deaf.

Looking thin is nothing. The actual pipes on original Drags are about the same diameter as the handlebar anyway. The rest is all cowling and heat shielding. These are single-walled and about 2" diameter.

But then, I don't care about looks... I needed the bike to work and these were less than a quarter of the price of OEM pipes from Yamaha.

Guest LaFiamma

When i bought mine 2 years ago i despised the OEM wind shield so much i took it off within a week and its remains in the shed. Ive put it one maybe twice for long distance trips over the first few months but prefer the bike without it as its gargantuan size i feel is more of a hinderence than anything else. It distorts my line of sight and has always adversly affecting my riding. When i get to the poiint my neck wont take much more well i just slow down.... slightly :lol:

I have no new PMs in my Inbox.

Well I've just tried again and I got this message 'The member Ttaskmaster cannot receive any new messages' it comes up on a dusky pink background, so maybe that's why you've no new messages.

Yes, they are the Italian ones on eBay for £210. I went for the straight ones.

Yes, I have fitted them. I think they sound very growly under revs, but with an appreciated, relatively quiet idle. Re-jetting is required, else your fuel consumption goes down along with your power and top end speed.

Take the baffles out and you will go deaf.

Looking thin is nothing. The actual pipes on original Drags are about the same diameter as the handlebar anyway. The rest is all cowling and heat shielding. These are single-walled and about 2" diameter.

But then, I don't care about looks... I needed the bike to work and these were less than a quarter of the price of OEM pipes from Yamaha.

I've been looking at these for a while now, but the 2" dia is a problem for me, I'd like the fat pipes by Highway Hawk, but the world seems to be conspiring against me on that front as I've missed out on some choice sechondhand deals just lately. I might have to bite the bullet and buy brand new, but if that's the case I'll have the fat pipes.

Check on your message system though, there's something not right.

Can you not add on some kind of cowl to make the pipes look fatter?

TBH, I think they suit the 650 just fine. It's not a big bike and even with modded pipes on, it doesn't sound like a big bike. In fact, even with the baffles out and the pipes going straight through, it just sounds louder rather than bigger.

In fact, they look about the same diameter as the first HH ones pictured on this page:

http://www.metriccruisers.co.uk/acatalog/exhausts_xvs650.html

PM box was full.

Emptied out, so now the world can PM me about... stuff.

• 4 months later...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online