Warranty Claim

JasonMc
This post is 4864 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences trying to make a genuine warranty claim with Yamaha? I have a XVS 1300A with just over 7000 miles on the clock. Lately it has started making a horrendous squeaking noise when you pull the throttle back which quietens off when you ease off the throttle. I was due a 6000 mile service anyway so asked the dealer to try and rectify the problem. They admitted there was a strange noise and when they tightened up the belt and it was 'WET' then the noise would disappear. He spoke to Yamaha Warranty who explained to him that because there was no mechanical issue then I can't claim. My dealer told me the problem was most definitely the belt and pulley and if these were replaced the noise would almost certainly be eliminated. His problem was that he has to send my old belt and pulley to Yamaha, their engineers examine them and if they find no fault with the parts then they would bill the dealer for the parts they sent him. Strange but true I know so my dealer is reluctant to get the parts in case Yamaha decide that wasn't the problem. He advised me to speak to Yamaha directly as 'the customer' carries more weight. I have done this and await their response but have been told not to expect any decision already made to be overturned. If anyone has had similar trouble claiming I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments or what my next step is. Thanks guys.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've not had the problem you refer to (nor have I had make any warranty claims so far) and I've 4k on mine.

You might however, want to search for 'drive belt pulley' 'belt noises' 'chirping' on some of the other 1300 forums (like http://1300tourer.com) and you'll find lots of threads around this area. Not looked at them in any great detail, however there seems to have been some recurrent issues around the engine drive belt pulley (you don't say which pulley they've removed)with it going out of alignment due to incorrect torque settings, or worn bearings due belt overtightening.

Worth a quick browse

Hope you get sorted!

Jim

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences trying to make a genuine warranty claim with Yamaha? I have a XVS 1300A with just over 7000 miles on the clock. Lately it has started making a horrendous squeaking noise when you pull the throttle back which quietens off when you ease off the throttle. I was due a 6000 mile service anyway so asked the dealer to try and rectify the problem. They admitted there was a strange noise and when they tightened up the belt and it was 'WET' then the noise would disappear. He spoke to Yamaha Warranty who explained to him that because there was no mechanical issue then I can't claim. My dealer told me the problem was most definitely the belt and pulley and if these were replaced the noise would almost certainly be eliminated. His problem was that he has to send my old belt and pulley to Yamaha, their engineers examine them and if they find no fault with the parts then they would bill the dealer for the parts they sent him. Strange but true I know so my dealer is reluctant to get the parts in case Yamaha decide that wasn't the problem. He advised me to speak to Yamaha directly as 'the customer' carries more weight. I have done this and await their response but have been told not to expect any decision already made to be overturned. If anyone has had similar trouble claiming I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments or what my next step is. Thanks guys.

I cant see what inspecting the pulley and belt as separate items wopuld prove, since its likely that the noise can only be replicated when the parts are on the bike. Individually, the parts may look in goood order, buts its the combination of alignment/transmission/torque/tension etc that matter. Sounds to me like typical big company bean counters in action. Toothed drive belts and pullies are subject to wear/stretch like any other components. Is there antything in the small print of the warranty to try to nail them with?

Thanks guy's, appreciate your comments and definitely give me food for thought. You explain better here than what Yamaha did, they didn't mention alignment, torque, tension and transmission and they're all possibilities to what's causing the noise. Thanks for the link too Jimm, I'll have a look at that and hopefully find some answers then I'll get back on to Yamaha more informed. Thanks again guys.