Touring with a XT?

sherpa
This post is 7138 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently bought a '91 XT600E to replace my Kawasaki ZXR400 which I was finding too sports focused. I payed £800 for it with 17k on the clock and FSH. It is a bit tatty round the edges but mechanically sound. I have enjoyed riding it during the last couple of months and this has gotten me thinking about touring europe next summer. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following:

1. Does anyone make a screen for the XT as I'm finding it quite heavy going at speeds over 65mph. Also, does adding a screen make the high speed weave better or worse?

2. What is the XTs' true tank range when run hard/normal?

3. What are the best tyres for touring/v.light trail riding. The guy I bought the bike off threw in a pair of part-worn AVON Gripsters as well as the Bridgestone knobblys on the bike. Are these of any use?

4. What luggage is best to use. I intend to travel light and want to avoid using panniers. Would a tankbag and topbox suffice? If so which ones?

5. What are the XTs' weak points? so far my maintenance has consisted of changing the oil/filter and lubing the chain. What do I need to check/replace before embarking on a long tour?

6. My intention is to stick to the smaller roads as I feel the XT is a little hard work on motorways. A mate of mine reckons that an Afica Twin would be far more suitable for my tour. I have gotten quite attached to the XT and would like to show him that it is a competent tourer. Is this true or does my mate have a point?

Any response to these questions will be much appreciated. Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. Does anyone make a screen for the XT as I'm finding it quite heavy going at speeds over 65mph. Also, does adding a screen make the high speed weave better or worse?

Only Secdem in Paris. No UK stockist and they don't speak English. So forget it.

2. What is the XTs' true tank range when run hard/normal?

Mine was a 2003 XT600E and went on reserve at around 140 miles.

3. What are the best tyres for touring/v.light trail riding. The guy I bought the bike off threw in a pair of part-worn AVON Gripsters as well as the Bridgestone knobblys on the bike. Are these of any use?

Metzeler Tourance. Everybody will tell you the same. They're the dogs bollocks.

4. What luggage is best to use. I intend to travel light and want to avoid using panniers. Would a tankbag and topbox suffice? If so which ones?

I'd go with Givi, pannier fitment is a bit iffy anyway due to the huge RH side panel.

5. What are the XTs' weak points? so far my maintenance has consisted of changing the oil/filter and lubing the chain. What do I need to check/replace before embarking on a long tour?

I'd stick an NGK Iridium plug in it for a start, and generally do all safety checks. Consider brake hose replacement.

6. My intention is to stick to the smaller roads as I feel the XT is a little hard work on motorways. A mate of mine reckons that an Afica Twin would be far more suitable for my tour. I have gotten quite attached to the XT and would like to show him that it is a competent tourer. Is this true or does my mate have a point?

It's hard work and underpowered for motorways etc. Small roads it's great, but the seat is a killer over any distance.

You need a fairing really cos you do get blown about a bit and it's difficult to maintain your speed into a headwind.

You could spend a fortune doing stuff to it, but there's no point. Just buy a Transalp. Sorted! 8)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online